Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Six new suspected meningitis cases in the North

Six new suspected meningitis cases in the North

NINE people with suspected meningitis are reportedly being treated at the Onandjokwe Lutheran Hospital, The Namibian has learnt from reliable sources

Health authorities did not want to confirm or deny the report yesterday. “What I am sure of is, that apart from the three old cases that were reported in Onandjokwe hospital earlier, there are six new cases, but there might be more than that even,” said a source.Another reliable source who informed The Namibian about the new cases could not say which villages the patients were from.”Yes, I received a report of alleged new meningitis cases at Onandjokwe, but I was also informed that these alleged cases of meningitis have still to be investigated and verified to determine whether they are really meningitis or not,” the Permanent Secretary of Health, Kahijoro Kahuure, told The Namibian late yesterday afternoon.When approached for comment, hospital superintendent Dr Fillemon Amaambo told The Namibian that he was busy with a meeting.The matron of the hospital, Monika Shilongo, referred the reporter to the Onandjokwe Hospital’s chief administrator, Julius Mtuleni, and the control register nurse, Penina Akudhenga.Both of these officials referred questions to the Director of Health, Maria Kavezimbi, who in turn referred the reporter to the Permanent Secretary of Health and Social Services.Last Wednesday, the Regional Councillor of Eengodi Constituency, Walde Sheyavali, announced on the NBC’s Oshiwambo radio service that several cases of the disease had been reported at Onamakulikwa and Ohambala villages in Eengodi Constituency that week and that he had asked the Onandjokwe health workers to go and familiarise themselves with the situation.At that time Matron Shilongo at the Onandjokwe hospital said they were treating children from Onamakulikwa, Ohambala, Onkumbula and Ohashipepe villages for meningitis.She said a boy, Lukas Akapa from Omakunde village, died of the disease at the beginning of last month.Matron Shilongo also said then that health workers had been sent to those villages to investigate the disease and give information to the villagers.Regional Health Director Kavezimbi had confirmed to The Namibian that three children were then being treated for meningitis at the Onandjokwe Hospital.”What I am sure of is, that apart from the three old cases that were reported in Onandjokwe hospital earlier, there are six new cases, but there might be more than that even,” said a source.Another reliable source who informed The Namibian about the new cases could not say which villages the patients were from.”Yes, I received a report of alleged new meningitis cases at Onandjokwe, but I was also informed that these alleged cases of meningitis have still to be investigated and verified to determine whether they are really meningitis or not,” the Permanent Secretary of Health, Kahijoro Kahuure, told The Namibian late yesterday afternoon. When approached for comment, hospital superintendent Dr Fillemon Amaambo told The Namibian that he was busy with a meeting.The matron of the hospital, Monika Shilongo, referred the reporter to the Onandjokwe Hospital’s chief administrator, Julius Mtuleni, and the control register nurse, Penina Akudhenga.Both of these officials referred questions to the Director of Health, Maria Kavezimbi, who in turn referred the reporter to the Permanent Secretary of Health and Social Services.Last Wednesday, the Regional Councillor of Eengodi Constituency, Walde Sheyavali, announced on the NBC’s Oshiwambo radio service that several cases of the disease had been reported at Onamakulikwa and Ohambala villages in Eengodi Constituency that week and that he had asked the Onandjokwe health workers to go and familiarise themselves with the situation.At that time Matron Shilongo at the Onandjokwe hospital said they were treating children from Onamakulikwa, Ohambala, Onkumbula and Ohashipepe villages for meningitis.She said a boy, Lukas Akapa from Omakunde village, died of the disease at the beginning of last month.Matron Shilongo also said then that health workers had been sent to those villages to investigate the disease and give information to the villagers.Regional Health Director Kavezimbi had confirmed to The Namibian that three children were then being treated for meningitis at the Onandjokwe Hospital.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News