Six appear in court over N$2m bank theft

Six suspects arrested on Wednesday in the Kavango West region over a Bank Windhoek multi-million dollar theft appeared in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

The web of crime uncovered so far includes that the main suspect, Nico Rebebe (30), an employee of Bank Windhoek’s Opuwo branch, who it still at large, had allegedly promised the suspects at Rundu farm jobs.

He reportedly told them to open bank accounts into which he would deposit their salaries.

Magistrate Sonia Samupofu, who presided over the case, said the six men should be transferred to Opuwo where the warrant of arrest was sent from, in order to be charged according to the docket that was opened.

The transfer was brought on by prosecutor Karen Kleopas, who highlighted that it can only be handled at Opuwo, where it was opened and flagged by the bank.

The six suspects have been identified as Kamberuka Lucas (19), Lucas Shifwaku (age unknown), Mathias Mukuve (29), Lyinyando Kandjimi (29), Daniel Sumwa (23) and Kanyanga Matthias (22).

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!