Short-term employment visas at home affairs headquarters, online only

Margaret Kalo

The Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety and Security says recent media reports that short-term employment permits are now available at various border posts are incorrect.

This comes after a local publication reported that various points of entry into Namibia have received authorisation to issue short-term employment permits without applicants having to travel to the ministry’s headquarters.

Ministry spokesperson Margaret Kalo says short-term employment visas can only be applied for at the ministry’s headquarters or online.

“Applicants have to apply and meet the requirements for short-term employment visas. Once the application is approved, they receive a loose-leaf visa, which the visitor on short-term employment presents the immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry,” she says.

Kalo says immigration officers will then endorse a rubber-stamp visa in the visitor’s passport.

“Only the endorsement of approved visas are done at the borders,” she says.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!