Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Russian oil driller in Namibia

Russian oil driller in Namibia

NAMIBIA has signed a multi-million-dollar exploration deal with Russian drilling company Sintezneftegaz to look for oil and gas along the country’s coastline, officials said Friday.

The US$84 million (69 million euros) deal marked the Moscow-based company’s first venture into Africa, looking at an area off Namibia’s northern border with Angola, which is sub-Saharan Africa’s second largest oil producer. “The agreement includes the drilling of one well in Block 1711,” Mines and Energy Minister Erkki Nghimtina said at a signing ceremony in the Namibian capital to clinch the four-year deal.”We have always had oil and gas interests in the Arctic, mainly in the Barents Sea,” added Leonid Lebedev, founder of Sintezneftegaz’s parent company Sintez Group.”We now want to expand to Africa,” he told AFP.Formerly held by the US-based Vanco Energy Company, Block 1711 has the potential to yield viable quantities of both oil and gas, according to industry specialists.But energy minister Nghimtina said, “Vanco pulled out recently as its search for a strategic partner was unsuccessful.”They left us with valuable seismic data, which is to the advantage of Sintez,” he said.Sintezneftegaz will keep a 70 per cent share in the Namibian venture, while sharing a 10 per cent equity stake with South Africa’s national petroleum company PetroSA.Canadian-based Energulf Resources is to take 10 per cent, while the National Petroleum Company of Namibia (Namcor) will have seven per cent.”The remaining three percent will go to a Namibian black empowerment company that we still have to identify,” Lebedev said.Offshore exploration first started off the Namibian coast in 1968 leading to Chevron’s discovery of the Kudu gas field in 1973.Further exploration only took place after Namibian independence in 1990 and two years later the first blocks for oil and gas exploration were awarded.Recent months have seen the country award several gas and oil exploration licences, mainly offshore.Licencees were BHP Billiton, Hunt Oil, First African Oil Corporation and INA Industrija out of Croatia.- Nampa-AFP”The agreement includes the drilling of one well in Block 1711,” Mines and Energy Minister Erkki Nghimtina said at a signing ceremony in the Namibian capital to clinch the four-year deal.”We have always had oil and gas interests in the Arctic, mainly in the Barents Sea,” added Leonid Lebedev, founder of Sintezneftegaz’s parent company Sintez Group.”We now want to expand to Africa,” he told AFP.Formerly held by the US-based Vanco Energy Company, Block 1711 has the potential to yield viable quantities of both oil and gas, according to industry specialists.But energy minister Nghimtina said, “Vanco pulled out recently as its search for a strategic partner was unsuccessful.”They left us with valuable seismic data, which is to the advantage of Sintez,” he said.Sintezneftegaz will keep a 70 per cent share in the Namibian venture, while sharing a 10 per cent equity stake with South Africa’s national petroleum company PetroSA.Canadian-based Energulf Resources is to take 10 per cent, while the National Petroleum Company of Namibia (Namcor) will have seven per cent.”The remaining three percent will go to a Namibian black empowerment company that we still have to identify,” Lebedev said.Offshore exploration first started off the Namibian coast in 1968 leading to Chevron’s discovery of the Kudu gas field in 1973.Further exploration only took place after Namibian independence in 1990 and two years later the first blocks for oil and gas exploration were awarded.Recent months have seen the country award several gas and oil exploration licences, mainly offshore.Licencees were BHP Billiton, Hunt Oil, First African Oil Corporation and INA Industrija out of Croatia.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News