Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Rundu, Zambezi VTC heads face graft charges

Rundu, Zambezi VTC heads face graft charges

EMPLOYEES at the Rundu and Zambezi Vocational Training Centres (VTCs) are disappointed with the way in which authorities have handled a case of alleged corruption levelled against the heads of the two institutions.

The two principals, Felix Mukasa from the Rundu VTC in the Kavango Region and Simon Mubiana from the Zambezi VTC in Caprivi Region, appeared in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on Monday. They stood accused of fraud and corruption allegedly committed against their respective centres.In what employees at both institutions say is unacceptable, the two men returned to their jobs immediately after paying N$10 000 bail each.”We feel justice was not done.They stole a lot of money but they were given a light bail-out and still continue with their normal working duties,” reads a letter by the concerned employees, dated Tuesday.It is alleged that since 2004 the two have been involved in ordering items for their centres from non-existent companies and pocketed the money made available by the Ministry of Education.”For example, in one instance they ordered wood for the Joinery and Cabinet Making Trade (one of the courses offered).”They ordered this wood from a non-existing company, took the money when it came and shared it between the two of them,” a source said.Police apparently started investigating the case about a month ago, a source at ZVTC said.This culminated in the two being informed telephonically at the end of last week that they were to appear in court on Monday.Ministry of Education spokesperson Toivo Mvula said the Ministry was investigating the charges against the two principles, but declined to elaborate further.Mukasa declined to comment when contacted yesterday, although Mubiana maintained his innocence.”Please just state that I’m innocent,” he said.They stood accused of fraud and corruption allegedly committed against their respective centres.In what employees at both institutions say is unacceptable, the two men returned to their jobs immediately after paying N$10 000 bail each.”We feel justice was not done.They stole a lot of money but they were given a light bail-out and still continue with their normal working duties,” reads a letter by the concerned employees, dated Tuesday.It is alleged that since 2004 the two have been involved in ordering items for their centres from non-existent companies and pocketed the money made available by the Ministry of Education.”For example, in one instance they ordered wood for the Joinery and Cabinet Making Trade (one of the courses offered).”They ordered this wood from a non-existing company, took the money when it came and shared it between the two of them,” a source said.Police apparently started investigating the case about a month ago, a source at ZVTC said.This culminated in the two being informed telephonically at the end of last week that they were to appear in court on Monday.Ministry of Education spokesperson Toivo Mvula said the Ministry was investigating the charges against the two principles, but declined to elaborate further.Mukasa declined to comment when contacted yesterday, although Mubiana maintained his innocence.”Please just state that I’m innocent,” he said.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News