A Malta-flagged, Greek-owned vessel has been hit with a missile in the Red Sea off the coast of Yemen, maritime security firm Ambrey has said.
It is thought to be the third incident involving the bulk carrier, believed to be named Zografia, in 24 hours.
Tuesday’s incident comes as the US military announced it had seized Iranian-supplied weapons bound for the Houthis during an operation last week.
Meanwhile, the US has hit more targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
An official told CBS, the BBC’s American partner, that the US conducted further strikes on Houthi positions overnight.
The US and UK launched a wave of airstrikes against dozens of Houthi targets on 11 January following attacks by the Iran-backed group on shipping in the Red Sea.
It is not yet known what was attacked in the latest US operation.
The Houthis have vowed to retaliate and on Sunday the US said it had shot down a missile fired towards one of its warships from a Houthi area of Yemen.
Several vessels have been targeted by the movement’s fighters since November in protest at Israel’s war with Hamas.
The Houthis say they are targeting vessels which are Israeli-owned, flagged or operated, or are heading to Israeli ports. However, many have no connections with Israel.
The Red Sea connects the Indian Ocean to the Mediterranean via the Suez Canal but several shipping lines have announced they are now diverting round the Cape of Good Hope to reach Europe instead.
The US said on Tuesday that analysis from the weapons it seized from a ship near the Yemen coast suggested the Houthis had been using the same kind of weapons in their Red Sea attacks.
The seizure took place on 11 January near the coast of Somalia – the same day as the first US-UK airstrikes.
Cruise and ballistic missile components were among the items found on a ship, as well as parts for air defence equipment.
“This is the first seizure of lethal, Iranian-supplied advanced conventional weapons (ACW) to the Houthis since the beginning of Houthi attacks against merchant ships in November 2023,” US Central Command said in a statement.
It also said a search is continuing for two Navy Seals who were lost overboard during the operation.
According to media reports, one officer was knocked off the ship by high waves and the second jumped in afterwards to try and help as is required by protocol.
Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –