Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Otjozondjupa in crisis

Otjozondjupa in crisis

CARS are grounded, petrol accounts are suspended and employees have been without subsistence and travel (S&T) allowances for more than five months at the Otjozondjupa Regional Council.

The financial crisis has also scuppered a coffin-making project aimed at assisting San people in the region, who can’t afford to bury their dead. Well-placed sources said the Council has been without a chief executive officer for a very long time – since Chief Regional Officer Ndahafa Nghifindaka-Tjiuongua was suspended last year.On top of that, Regional Governor Theo Eiseb has been on sick leave since December and only returned to work on March 3.Approached for comment, Eiseb said he was aware of the non-payment of S&Ts because of alleged poor financial management and said they were investigating the reasons behind the overspending.”I am aware that some creditors like NamPower were not paid and threatened to cut power to the offices but I have appealed to them not to do so while I’m investigating what went wrong,” Eiseb told The Namibian.It has also been reported that the limit on the petrol account was exceeded by N$108 000, with some service stations refusing to provide fuel.Some cars have already been grounded.The coffin-making project initiated by the Regional Council to help the San has particularly hit some of the region’s poorest residents.”It is a serious crisis.There are at least five bodies lying in the mortuaries because the coffin project has come to a standstill,” a source told The Namibian this week.It is hoped that the project will be resurrected once funds allocated for it in the new National Budget are released.The Budget is currently under consideration in the National Assembly.Some sources attribute the start of the Council’s woes to Nghifindaka’s suspension.The Labour Court has subsequently ruled that the right procedures were not followed in her disciplinary case and have nullified the Council’s decision.As a result, her lawyers, Metcalfe Legal Practitioners, have written to the Council to demand her reinstatement or that she be transferred to another Ministry at Under Secretary level.Eiseb said he would only be able to answer The Namibian’s queries next week when he would be back in office.He said he also first needed to consult fellow regional councillor Ferdinand Kavetuna, who has been acting in his place.The Governor has been at Okahandja since Tuesday, commemorating Namibia’s Independence Day at various schools.Well-placed sources said the Council has been without a chief executive officer for a very long time – since Chief Regional Officer Ndahafa Nghifindaka-Tjiuongua was suspended last year.On top of that, Regional Governor Theo Eiseb has been on sick leave since December and only returned to work on March 3.Approached for comment, Eiseb said he was aware of the non-payment of S&Ts because of alleged poor financial management and said they were investigating the reasons behind the overspending. “I am aware that some creditors like NamPower were not paid and threatened to cut power to the offices but I have appealed to them not to do so while I’m investigating what went wrong,” Eiseb told The Namibian.It has also been reported that the limit on the petrol account was exceeded by N$108 000, with some service stations refusing to provide fuel.Some cars have already been grounded.The coffin-making project initiated by the Regional Council to help the San has particularly hit some of the region’s poorest residents.”It is a serious crisis.There are at least five bodies lying in the mortuaries because the coffin project has come to a standstill,” a source told The Namibian this week.It is hoped that the project will be resurrected once funds allocated for it in the new National Budget are released.The Budget is currently under consideration in the National Assembly.Some sources attribute the start of the Council’s woes to Nghifindaka’s suspension.The Labour Court has subsequently ruled that the right procedures were not followed in her disciplinary case and have nullified the Council’s decision.As a result, her lawyers, Metcalfe Legal Practitioners, have written to the Council to demand her reinstatement or that she be transferred to another Ministry at Under Secretary level.Eiseb said he would only be able to answer The Namibian’s queries next week when he would be back in office.He said he also first needed to consult fellow regional councillor Ferdinand Kavetuna, who has been acting in his place.The Governor has been at Okahandja since Tuesday, commemorating Namibia’s Independence Day at various schools.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News