Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

No jury for Diana inquest: Judge

No jury for Diana inquest: Judge

LONDON – A judge in Britain ruled Monday that she alone would determine what caused the deaths of Princess Diana and her boyfriend, rejecting arguments that a jury was the best way to ensure that justice was done.

The death of Diana has fuelled much debate, with the Mohamed al Fayed, the father of her lover, Dodi Fayed, claiming the pair had been murdered in an August 31, 1997 Paris car crash. In her 34-page ruling, Baroness Elizabeth Butler-Sloss wrote that by law, the rules of an inquest would forbid a jury from considering the conspiracy theories that have dogged the investigation into their deaths.”In particular, the jury would not be able to answer questions on allegations that a person, group or organisation had been guilty of criminal activities in respect of the death of the princess or Dodi,” she said.Butler-Sloss is Britain’s former top female judge, and a member of the House of Lords.Her high-profile decisions include granting lifelong anonymity to the killers of toddler James Bulger and barring a mother from sterilising her 29-year-old mentally disabled daughter.The judge said a jury would find it difficult to cope with the volume and detail of the evidence.The inquest will delve into technical matters on the crash, creating a video simulation and expert testimony.Over 30 witness are expected to testify, including some by video-link from Paris.”It would undoubtedly be easier for a professional judge to carry out the necessary investigation,” Butler-Sloss wrote.Butler-Sloss’s ruling followed a procedural hearing on preliminary issues ahead of the long-awaited inquests into the death of Diana and Fayed.The inquests could only begin after the investigations into the deaths was complete.A two-year French investigation, a three-year Metropolitan Police inquiry and repeated legal action by Egyptian tycoon al Fayed have delayed the inquest by nearly 10 years.Al Fayed’s legal team had pressed the judge to call a jury, saying it was the only way the public would be satisfied that proper care was taken over the issues surrounding the crash.”The best way to answer conspiracy theories is to actually do it in a good old fashioned court and to hear the witnesses and cross-examine them,” al Fayed’s spokesman, Michael Cole, said during preliminary hearings last week.It is likely the inquest will begin in early May, Butler-Sloss said at the earlier hearing.Under British law, an inquest must be held when someone dies violently, unexpectedly, or of unknown causes.Nampa-APIn her 34-page ruling, Baroness Elizabeth Butler-Sloss wrote that by law, the rules of an inquest would forbid a jury from considering the conspiracy theories that have dogged the investigation into their deaths.”In particular, the jury would not be able to answer questions on allegations that a person, group or organisation had been guilty of criminal activities in respect of the death of the princess or Dodi,” she said.Butler-Sloss is Britain’s former top female judge, and a member of the House of Lords.Her high-profile decisions include granting lifelong anonymity to the killers of toddler James Bulger and barring a mother from sterilising her 29-year-old mentally disabled daughter.The judge said a jury would find it difficult to cope with the volume and detail of the evidence.The inquest will delve into technical matters on the crash, creating a video simulation and expert testimony.Over 30 witness are expected to testify, including some by video-link from Paris.”It would undoubtedly be easier for a professional judge to carry out the necessary investigation,” Butler-Sloss wrote.Butler-Sloss’s ruling followed a procedural hearing on preliminary issues ahead of the long-awaited inquests into the death of Diana and Fayed.The inquests could only begin after the investigations into the deaths was complete.A two-year French investigation, a three-year Metropolitan Police inquiry and repeated legal action by Egyptian tycoon al Fayed have delayed the inquest by nearly 10 years.Al Fayed’s legal team had pressed the judge to call a jury, saying it was the only way the public would be satisfied that proper care was taken over the issues surrounding the crash.”The best way to answer conspiracy theories is to actually do it in a good old fashioned court and to hear the witnesses and cross-examine them,” al Fayed’s spokesman, Michael Cole, said during preliminary hearings last week.It is likely the inquest will begin in early May, Butler-Sloss said at the earlier hearing.Under British law, an inquest must be held when someone dies violently, unexpectedly, or of unknown causes.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News