Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Nine women rescued from fake contest

Nine women rescued from fake contest

ISTANBUL – Turkish military police said yesterday that they had stormed an Istanbul villa to rescue nine women held captive after being tricked into believing they were reality show contestants.

The women were rescued on Monday in the villa in Riva, a summer resort on the outskirts of Istanbul, a spokesman for the military police in the region who carried out the raid told The Associated Press. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to give details of the raid to the media. He said the women were held captive for around two months but refused to provide further details.The women were made to believe they were being filmed for a Big Brother-type television show, the private Dogan news agency and other news reports said, without citing sources. Instead, their naked images were sold on the Internet, the reports said.The women had responded to an ad searching for contestants for a reality show that would be aired on a major Turkish television station, Dogan said. The nine, including a teenager, were selected among several applicants following an interview, it said.They were made to sign a contract that stipulated that they could have no contact with their families or the outside world and would have to pay a 50 000 Turkish Lira fine (N$247 500) if they left the show before two months, the agency reported.The women were told they could not leave unless they paid the fine and those who insisted were threatened, Dogan said.The girls were reportedly models from the Mediterranean resort of Antalya and the Aegean port city of Izmir.’We were not after the money but we thought our daughter could have the chance of becoming famous if she took part in the contest,’ the newspaper quoted one of the women’s mother as saying. The paper identified her only by her first name, Remziye. ‘But they have duped us all.’She said the women were not abused or harassed sexually.They were told however, to fight each other, to wear bikinis and dance by villa’s pool, the paper quoted the mother as saying.HaberTurk said police detained four people who lived with the women at the villa at all times. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News