Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Namugongo to deny corruption charges in Regional Court today

Namugongo to deny corruption charges in Regional Court today

THE corruption trial of Ministry of Environment and Tourism official Sackey Namugongo is scheduled to begin in the Windhoek Regional Court today, after its start was delayed by a day yesterday.

Namugongo (56) appeared in the dock before Windhoek Regional Court Magistrate Sarel Jacobs yesterday, to explain to the court why he failed to appear before the Magistrate last Tuesday and to hear that his trial would now be kicking off today. Namugongo was arrested by investigators from the Anti-Corruption Commission on corruption, fraud and forgery and uttering charges on September 17 2006.Those charges resulted from his alleged involvement in the claimed illegal sale of fake Namibian gambling licences.The charges against Namugongo ballooned to a total of 46 counts by late September last year, when Namugongo was informed that the Prosecutor-General had decided to arraign him in the Regional Court on 46 charges in total.These include 24 counts of contravening the Anti-Corruption Act, based on allegations that Namugongo had corruptly used his office or position in the Ministry of Environment and Tourism for gratification, 19 alternative charges of theft under the corruption charges, and 22 counts of fraud, alternatively forgery and uttering.The theft charges involve a total amount of N$345 200 that Namugongo is alleged to have stolen from a total of 17 people between March and September 2006.Namugongo’s lawyer, Titus Mbaeva, told The Namibian on enquiry yesterday that Namugongo would be pleading not guilty “to most of the charges, if not all”.When Namugongo failed to show up in court last week, a warrant was issued for his arrest and his bail was provisionally withdrawn and forfeited to the State.Mbaeva told the Magistrate yesterday that Namugongo was not in court because he had to attend a meeting at Walvis Bay.An arrangement that his trial would be starting only yesterday also caused some confusion, the court was told.Magistrate Jacobs accepted the explanation and reinstated Namugongo’s bail of N$20 000.Deputy Prosecutor-General Orben Sibeya is set to represent the State during the trial.Namugongo was arrested by investigators from the Anti-Corruption Commission on corruption, fraud and forgery and uttering charges on September 17 2006.Those charges resulted from his alleged involvement in the claimed illegal sale of fake Namibian gambling licences.The charges against Namugongo ballooned to a total of 46 counts by late September last year, when Namugongo was informed that the Prosecutor-General had decided to arraign him in the Regional Court on 46 charges in total.These include 24 counts of contravening the Anti-Corruption Act, based on allegations that Namugongo had corruptly used his office or position in the Ministry of Environment and Tourism for gratification, 19 alternative charges of theft under the corruption charges, and 22 counts of fraud, alternatively forgery and uttering.The theft charges involve a total amount of N$345 200 that Namugongo is alleged to have stolen from a total of 17 people between March and September 2006.Namugongo’s lawyer, Titus Mbaeva, told The Namibian on enquiry yesterday that Namugongo would be pleading not guilty “to most of the charges, if not all”.When Namugongo failed to show up in court last week, a warrant was issued for his arrest and his bail was provisionally withdrawn and forfeited to the State.Mbaeva told the Magistrate yesterday that Namugongo was not in court because he had to attend a meeting at Walvis Bay.An arrangement that his trial would be starting only yesterday also caused some confusion, the court was told.Magistrate Jacobs accepted the explanation and reinstated Namugongo’s bail of N$20 000.Deputy Prosecutor-General Orben Sibeya is set to represent the State during the trial.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News