Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Mbeki, Zuma reject Winnie plan

Mbeki, Zuma reject Winnie plan

JOHANNESBURG – The two contenders in the battle to lead South Africa’s ruling party have rejected a proposal by Nelson Mandela’s former wife which would have seen Jacob Zuma drop his challenge to President Thabo Mbeki and in return avoid corruption charges, reports said yesterday.

In a letter to African National Congress secretary general Kgalema Motlanthe published in The Star newspaper, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela suggested that Mbeki remain in place as party president until 2009 when he must step down as head of state with the understanding that Zuma heads the ANC into a general election. Madikizela-Mandela also proposed ‘that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president’, in reference to a long-running corruption inquiry which could see charges filed against Zuma.However the proposal, made ahead of Sunday’s start of an ANC leadership conference, was rejected by both camps with Mbeki’s campaign manager saying any attempt to influence a criminal investigation would be inappropriate.”Once you start making arrangements over who is arrested or investigated, where do you stop? It would reflect badly on country once we start interfering with the criminal justice system,” Mluleki George told the paper.Zwelinzima Vavi, secretary general of the Cosatu labour movement which has been one of Zuma’s strongest backers, also dismissed the proposal for going against the will of the party, a majority of whose provincial branches have already come out in support of Zuma.”If you do (what Madikizela-Mandela proposed) it would be a travesty of justice when Zuma was backed through the democratic process,” he said.Zuma was sacked by Mbeki two years ago as deputy head of state after his financial advisor was jailed for fraud, although he kept his position as deputy ANC president.He still faces the possibility of being charged with corruption in connection with the same investigation after recently losing a bid to have a series of search warrants declared illegal.Madikizela-Mandela is a former president of the ANC’s women’s league and remains an iconic figure in the party for her role in the fight against the apartheid regime.Nampa-AFPMadikizela-Mandela also proposed ‘that a solution shall in fact be found for the legal difficulties that confront the deputy president’, in reference to a long-running corruption inquiry which could see charges filed against Zuma.However the proposal, made ahead of Sunday’s start of an ANC leadership conference, was rejected by both camps with Mbeki’s campaign manager saying any attempt to influence a criminal investigation would be inappropriate.”Once you start making arrangements over who is arrested or investigated, where do you stop? It would reflect badly on country once we start interfering with the criminal justice system,” Mluleki George told the paper.Zwelinzima Vavi, secretary general of the Cosatu labour movement which has been one of Zuma’s strongest backers, also dismissed the proposal for going against the will of the party, a majority of whose provincial branches have already come out in support of Zuma.”If you do (what Madikizela-Mandela proposed) it would be a travesty of justice when Zuma was backed through the democratic process,” he said.Zuma was sacked by Mbeki two years ago as deputy head of state after his financial advisor was jailed for fraud, although he kept his position as deputy ANC president.He still faces the possibility of being charged with corruption in connection with the same investigation after recently losing a bid to have a series of search warrants declared illegal.Madikizela-Mandela is a former president of the ANC’s women’s league and remains an iconic figure in the party for her role in the fight against the apartheid regime.Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News