Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Mariental remains in dark on insurance

Mariental remains in dark on insurance

MARIENTAL businesses and residents in the town’s flood-prone area remain in limbo as the deadlock on their insurance coverage continues.

The Namibia Insurers’ Association (NIA) has said that it will not insure the town’s flood area from October 1. Mariental’s Chief Executive Officer, Paul Nghiwilepo, told The Namibian that the insurance industry had not changed its stance on a decision taken at the beginning of August.”This decision is effective October 1 2006.Our intention is to continue to engage Government on this matter,” Nghiwilepo said.Government set up the Mariental Flood Task Force earlier to assess the situation at the town and draw up a plan to prevent flooding in future.”Since the Mariental Flood Task Force final report will only be ready by July 2007, we are looking at measures that we would like to implement for the coming rainy season,” Nghiwilepo said.The insurance industry told the Mariental Municipality that it was unable to reconsider its decision unless something was done to ensure that floods would not happen again.Mariental risks facing a mass exodus of home and business owners after the NIA decision not to insure buildings west of the railway line.The NIA said it had decided not to cover any future losses resulting from flooding of properties situated downstream of the Hardap Dam and the lower Fish River.The decision follows massive flood-associated losses of more than N$100 million in the Mariental area after heavy rains at the end of February.The flooding at Mariental has been a contentious issue for years.This year alone, there have been four separate floods in the area, costing the insurance industry over three times more than previous claims.Debates have raged in the print media as to who was to blame for the flooding, but the issue remains unresolved.Government appointed a task force to investigate the issue but its findings will only be out by July next year – by which time the town would probably have been hit by another flood.It remains unclear why the task force is taking so long to reveal its findings.Mariental’s Chief Executive Officer, Paul Nghiwilepo, told The Namibian that the insurance industry had not changed its stance on a decision taken at the beginning of August.”This decision is effective October 1 2006.Our intention is to continue to engage Government on this matter,” Nghiwilepo said.Government set up the Mariental Flood Task Force earlier to assess the situation at the town and draw up a plan to prevent flooding in future.”Since the Mariental Flood Task Force final report will only be ready by July 2007, we are looking at measures that we would like to implement for the coming rainy season,” Nghiwilepo said.The insurance industry told the Mariental Municipality that it was unable to reconsider its decision unless something was done to ensure that floods would not happen again.Mariental risks facing a mass exodus of home and business owners after the NIA decision not to insure buildings west of the railway line.The NIA said it had decided not to cover any future losses resulting from flooding of properties situated downstream of the Hardap Dam and the lower Fish River.The decision follows massive flood-associated losses of more than N$100 million in the Mariental area after heavy rains at the end of February.The flooding at Mariental has been a contentious issue for years.This year alone, there have been four separate floods in the area, costing the insurance industry over three times more than previous claims.Debates have raged in the print media as to who was to blame for the flooding, but the issue remains unresolved.Government appointed a task force to investigate the issue but its findings will only be out by July next year – by which time the town would probably have been hit by another flood.It remains unclear why the task force is taking so long to reveal its findings.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News