Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Liebenberg released on warning

Liebenberg released on warning

SOUTH African tabloid magazine photographer John Liebenberg, arrested for trespassing while trying to snap a shot of pregnant superstar Angelina Jolie, was released on warning yesterday.

Liebenberg was taken into custody on Friday afternoon after driving into Police barracks in search of a vantage point to take a photograph of a nearby private hospital in Walvis Bay. According to a Police spokesperson, it was the second time he had been spotted trespassing.The 48-year-old photographer was reportedly reacting to a tip-off that Jolie had been rushed there to have her baby.The pressure is on for the paparazzi: prying lensmen are hoping to earn the multimillion-dollar pay cheque the first pictures of the baby are expected to earn.The Daily Mirror in London reported the couple has signed a deal with a US weekly magazine for the baby’s first pictures.”They’ve signed a £2,6 million (about N$35 million) deal with a publication, and the money will go to children’s charity Unicef,” the tabloid quoted a source close to the couple as saying.”Angelina’s very private but they figured they might as well use the opportunity of one child being born to help a lot of others.”Yesterday, Liebenberg pleaded guilty when he appeared in the Magistrate’s Court, and was released on a warning – he was seriously cautioned by Magistrate Sarel Jacobs – after being detained for three days in a Police cell.The prosecution had asked for a fine of N$1 000 or a year in prison.Liebenberg’s lawyer had suggested a fine.Magistrate Jacobs said he could not understand why Liebenberg was not allowed bail or the option of an admission of guilt.Pitt (42) and Jolie (30) – dubbed ‘Brangelina’ by the tabloid press – have sparked a media frenzy since arriving in Namibia over six weeks ago to have their first child.Residents say they are confounded by the relentless media interest in their famous guests, who arrived six weeks ago with adopted children Maddox and Zahara.”I think it is such a big fuss, I couldn’t give a damn to be quite honest.I feel sorry for them, they should just be left alone,” said Ingrid Wheal, who owns a local curio shop.- Nampa-Reuters and Own ReporterAccording to a Police spokesperson, it was the second time he had been spotted trespassing.The 48-year-old photographer was reportedly reacting to a tip-off that Jolie had been rushed there to have her baby.The pressure is on for the paparazzi: prying lensmen are hoping to earn the multimillion-dollar pay cheque the first pictures of the baby are expected to earn.The Daily Mirror in London reported the couple has signed a deal with a US weekly magazine for the baby’s first pictures.”They’ve signed a £2,6 million (about N$35 million) deal with a publication, and the money will go to children’s charity Unicef,” the tabloid quoted a source close to the couple as saying.”Angelina’s very private but they figured they might as well use the opportunity of one child being born to help a lot of others.”Yesterday, Liebenberg pleaded guilty when he appeared in the Magistrate’s Court, and was released on a warning – he was seriously cautioned by Magistrate Sarel Jacobs – after being detained for three days in a Police cell.The prosecution had asked for a fine of N$1 000 or a year in prison.Liebenberg’s lawyer had suggested a fine.Magistrate Jacobs said he could not understand why Liebenberg was not allowed bail or the option of an admission of guilt.Pitt (42) and Jolie (30) – dubbed ‘Brangelina’ by the tabloid press – have sparked a media frenzy since arriving in Namibia over six weeks ago to have their first child.Residents say they are confounded by the relentless media interest in their famous guests, who arrived six weeks ago with adopted children Maddox and Zahara.”I think it is such a big fuss, I couldn’t give a damn to be quite honest.I feel sorry for them, they should just be left alone,” said Ingrid Wheal, who owns a local curio shop.- Nampa-Reuters and Own Reporter

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News