Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Hitman’s fight set for June 27

Hitman’s fight set for June 27

NAMIBIA’S WBA lightweight world champion Paulus ‘The Hitman’ Moses will fight Verquan Kimbrough of the United States in his first voluntary title defence in Windhoek on June 27.

The 26-year-old Kimbrough has an impressive professional record of 20 wins (seven by KO), two draws and one defeat and is currently ranked 15th by the WBA.
In terms of the WBA’s regulations, Moses has to fight a top-15 contender in his first voluntary title defence.
The Hitman’s promoter Nestor Tobias said that it would be a tough fight, but he expected that the Hitman would emerge victorious.
‘I watched a tape of Kimbrough this morning and he is a suitable opponent for the Hitman. He doesn’t run too much and he likes to come forward, but I think the Hitman will win because of his superior hand speed and footwork,’ he said.
‘It will be a good fight but it won’t be easy. If the Hitman wants to be number one, he must beat all these guys. We will train to win and we will be ready – that’s for sure,’ he said.
The Hitman paid respect to his opponent, saying he did not see it as an ‘easy fight.’
Moses said he had already seen a videotape of Kimbrough in action and expected to win the fight.
‘I have seen him fight, but for me it is not a problem. Don’t worry about it, I will punish him,’ he said.
Tobias said that a fundraising committee had been established consisting of himself, Kelly Nghixulifwa and Ellison Hijarunguru of the Namibian Professional Boxing Control Board and F&H Promotions.
‘We signed a contract with Don King but he does not come cheap, he is very expensive, and since it is an international event we will have to pay in US dollars. We have appointed F&H Promotions to help organise the fight because they are very experienced and they have also been approved by the government,’ he said.
Tobias however said that they needed to raise between US$800 000 and US$1 million to stage the fight in Namibia and called on all Namibians to contribute to the cause.
‘This title is a national asset and that’s why we have to protect it. I am asking all Namibians to help us stage this fight, even one dollar will help,’ he said.
He added that they would hold a fundraising gala event at the Windhoek Country Club on June 11, where Moses’s fight when he won the title against Yusuke Kobori in Japan on January 3 will also be screened.
Horst Schnelle of F&H Promotions said they had various fundraising campaigns planned, including radio pledges, where The Hitman will go on air, while they were negotiating with major companies.
‘The gala dinner will be a spectacular event, while we have a lot of other interested sponsors.,’ he said.
Tobias said that if the funds were not forthcoming they might be forced to stage the fight elsewhere.
‘We already had to do that before, when The Hitman fought Kobori, we wanted to stage that fight in Namibia, but could not raise the funds, and it can happen again. Everyone was happy when he won the world title, but now we will ask everyone to put a dollar on the table to bring this fight to Namibia,’ he said.
Tobias said the fight would be staged in the car park of the Windhoek Country Club where they expected about 3 000 people could be accommodated.
– www.namibiasport.com.na

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News