Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Guard sues over lost fingers

Guard sues over lost fingers

A FORMER security guard, who accidentally shot off part of his left hand with a shotgun two years ago, is taking his former employer to court after the security company dismissed him following the incident.

Onesmus Aiyambo (25) claims that he was never trained to use a firearm before being sent to work at a mining site near Rosh Pinah for G4 Security Services in September 2007.
According to Aiyambo, the incident – which cost him the use of two of his fingers and part of his hand – happened on the morning of October 1 that year, when he and a supervisor took a break.
‘At around 10h00, we were sitting down with my supervisor. Then the gun fell down (while) hanging from my reflector jacket, then opened fire itself and shot me in the left hand,’ he told The Namibian.
He was immediately taken to a doctor at Rosh Pinah.
Aiyambo was later transferred to Windhoek, where his pinky and ring finger were amputated.
His contract with the company expired in January 2008, after which he was not rehired, he says. ‘Now I am a disabled person. Where can I go to find money to go to the hospital if my hand starts to pain and now that the company … dismissed me? We used to go ploughing the land [in the North], but now if I go there I am not able to do anything. I just have to wait for my parents to go and work in the field. And I was supposed to be the one to help them,’ he said.
His family, he says, has sent him back to Windhoek, telling him ‘they are the ones who gave you a gun without training’.
Aiyambo says his objections to the company’s retiring him resulted in a court case opened in September last year.
According to the company, however, a doctor declared Aiyambo fit to work after a period of sick leave, but he refused to accept any of the options offered him.
‘He claims that he was unfairly dismissed, and he opened a case, but nothing has yet come of this case,’ G4S Operations Director Steven Mertens said yesterday.
Mertens said Aiyambo had been posted to a site which required his shotgun to remain sealed, but that the former employee removed the seal without authorisation.
‘There is an argument being made that he could possibly have done the shooting deliberately to try and get compensation,’ Mertens said.
‘The work he was assigned to (after the incident) did not require the use of his lost hand,’ Mertens said.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News