Prime minister Elijah Ngurare says the government is looking at creating a more favourable business environment for ‘Order With Me’ entrepreneurs.
This comes as complaints over high and unpredictable customs charges on imported goods have grown.
Ngurare convened a surprise meeting with finance minister Ericah Shafudah and Namibia Revenue Agency (Namra) commissioner Sam Shivute on Tuesday to discuss possible solutions for small businesses involved in importing goods, mainly from China.
‘Order With Me’ operators are small entrepreneurs who assist customers in buying products from abroad for resale or delivery in Namibia.
The meeting follows growing frustration among importers who say customs duties, value-added tax (VAT) and courier clearance charges are making their businesses unsustainable.
Small business operators claim customs charges are in some cases almost equal to, or even higher than, the value of the imported products.
Importers say the unpredictability of the charges is making it difficult to operate profitably, as customers are often confronted with final costs far above expectations.
Ngurare said the government intends to engage directly with affected entrepreneurs in Windhoek, while plans are also underway to consult operators in other parts of the country.
The issue has become increasingly significant as more Namibians turn to informal import businesses and online trading as a source of income amid economic pressure and unemployment.
Namra has previously defended the customs charges, saying the rates are determined under regional trade agreements and are not set by Namibia alone.
The revenue body noted that clothing imports from countries such as China attract customs duties of 45% plus import VAT of 16.5%, bringing the total tax burden to 61.5%.
According to Namra, Namibia cannot independently reduce these charges because tariff structures are determined by the Southern African Customs Union.






