Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Fire guts Walvis Bay fisheries office

Fire guts Walvis Bay fisheries office

THE building of the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources in Walvis Bay was severely damaged on Sunday when thieves set the permit office on fire after cutting open safes with blowtorches to steal money.

Nampol’s Chief Crime Investigation Coordinator for Erongo, Chief Inspector Charles Sibolile, said only about N$8 000 in cash was stolen, but the damage to the property was estimated at N$350 000. The office infrastructure and all the furniture, documents and computer equipment were destroyed in the fire, he said.On Sunday evening at around 22h00, five people allegedly overpowered the security guard before tying him up and dragging him into the women’s bathroom.They then entered the building and made their way to the permit office, ‘thinking that there they would find something valuable’, Sibolile said.In this office were two safes that the suspects cut open with a blowtorch to steal the cash.The security guard was left tied up in the bathroom and was only discovered after 06h00 the following morning, when a ministry official arrived.’She knew there was a fire, and immediately called for help. She also heard noises in the bathroom, and that is when she discovered the guard lying tied up on the floor,’ Sibolile said.Dennis Basson of the Walvis Bay Municipal Fire Brigade told The Namibian that ‘there was just smoke and smouldering embers’ by the time they arrived at the scene shortly after 06h00.’The fire had already burned down the office, and my estimate is it must have happened around midnight,’ he said. ‘It’s just fortunate that the permit office was separated from the rest of the building by a massive concrete slab, and also that the door was closed, hence limiting the flow of oxygen. These factors contributed to the whole building not being set ablaze.’According to him, most damage was caused by smoke and not the flames.Sibolile said the guard recognised one of his assailants as a former colleague.’We arrested him on Monday at his house in Kuisebmond. We are still searching for the others,’ he said.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News