Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Fighting continues in Najaf, Baghdad

Fighting continues in Najaf, Baghdad

NAJAF – Intense fighting continued for a sixth straight day in Najaf around the central city’s vast cemetery yesterday between US and Iraqi forces and Iraqi Shi’ite Muslim militiamen loyal to radical cleric Moqtada Sadr.

Artillery and tank shells pounded positions in the labyrinthine graveyard where Sadr’s Mehdi Army have dug in, and which was the scene of heavy bombardment Monday, said an AFP correspondent. Sadr has vowed to fight to “defend Najaf until my last drop of blood” and rejected calls by interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi for his men to lay down their arms and leave the city.In the cleric’s Baghdad bastion of Sadr City, clashes raged for three and a half hours early Tuesday when a US patrol came under repeated attack as it drove through the centre of the sprawling slum.Militiamen attacked the “large number” of troops with rocket-propelled grenade, small arms fire and makeshift bombs from 4:30 am (0030 GMT) to 8:00 am, said a US military spokesman, refusing to say how big the patrol had been.He said there had been Iraqi casualties, but no injuries to US soldiers or damage to any equipment.Sporadic gunfire and mortar rounds continued to explode in Sadr City later in the morning.Shops remained boarded up and the main road closed to traffic as armed militiamen roamed the streets, said an AFP correspondent.A series of strong explosions came from the direction of the restive suburb at around 7:00 am before US helicopters flew over the northeast area.A curfew had officially been imposed on Monday until 8:00am yesterday in the wake of fierce fighting between Sadr followers and US forces that has left many dead.According to the US military, four US soldiers and more than 360 militiamen have been killed in the Najaf fighting since Thursday, which shattered a June truce that had quelled Sadr’s spring uprising against coalition troops.Northwest of Kut, three civilians were wounded, including one seriously, when a roadside bomb exploded as a Ukrainian convoy passed through Numaniyah, said police local chief Colonel Ali Jabbar Kadhim.The Shi’ite city of Kut, south of Baghdad, fell to Sadr loyalists in the spring before US forces and Iraqi police wrested back control in April.- Nampa-AFPSadr has vowed to fight to “defend Najaf until my last drop of blood” and rejected calls by interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi for his men to lay down their arms and leave the city.In the cleric’s Baghdad bastion of Sadr City, clashes raged for three and a half hours early Tuesday when a US patrol came under repeated attack as it drove through the centre of the sprawling slum.Militiamen attacked the “large number” of troops with rocket-propelled grenade, small arms fire and makeshift bombs from 4:30 am (0030 GMT) to 8:00 am, said a US military spokesman, refusing to say how big the patrol had been.He said there had been Iraqi casualties, but no injuries to US soldiers or damage to any equipment.Sporadic gunfire and mortar rounds continued to explode in Sadr City later in the morning.Shops remained boarded up and the main road closed to traffic as armed militiamen roamed the streets, said an AFP correspondent.A series of strong explosions came from the direction of the restive suburb at around 7:00 am before US helicopters flew over the northeast area.A curfew had officially been imposed on Monday until 8:00am yesterday in the wake of fierce fighting between Sadr followers and US forces that has left many dead.According to the US military, four US soldiers and more than 360 militiamen have been killed in the Najaf fighting since Thursday, which shattered a June truce that had quelled Sadr’s spring uprising against coalition troops.Northwest of Kut, three civilians were wounded, including one seriously, when a roadside bomb exploded as a Ukrainian convoy passed through Numaniyah, said police local chief Colonel Ali Jabbar Kadhim.The Shi’ite city of Kut, south of Baghdad, fell to Sadr loyalists in the spring before US forces and Iraqi police wrested back control in April.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News