Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Evacuation looms as Zambezi rises

Evacuation looms as Zambezi rises

THE Caprivi Regional Emergency Management Unit (REMU) is preparing to evacuate villagers from areas surrounded by floodwaters in the eastern Caprivi as the Zambezi River rises.

It reached 6,42 metres, as measured at Katima Mulilo, yesterday. The current level is now just four centimetres off last year’s peak which was reached on April 29.EMU Deputy Director Gabriel Kangowa said yesterday that three boats had been obtained from the military base at Katima Mulilo to move people to safety as well as for the delivery of food aid.A team from the Regional Council’s office is set to travel to affected areas this week to help those threatened by the floodwaters.The river broke the six-metre barrier on Sunday – having reached the five-metre mark just the week before.Over the past three weeks, the river has risen by almost a metre each week.Yesterday it was more than two metres higher than at the same time last year.Next week a team of representatives from the World Food Programme, Unicef, Ministry of Health, National Planning Commission and the Red Cross, along with the regional task team, will travel to the region to do a comprehensive assessment.Kangowa said the top priority was to identify a piece of land for the relocation of severely affected people.He said the exact number of people who needed to be moved was not yet known.Temporary shelters would have to be built for those evacuated and officials were determining whether tents used during last year’s floods would be sufficient.Last year’s floods displaced around 12 000 people – mostly in the Kabbe and Katima Rural constituencies.Kangowa said health-related issues were also of great concern.Since January, traditional leaders have pleaded with those in living in the floodplains to move their livestock to higher ground to avoid losing them and to stave off disease.The regional emergency task team is also expected to report back to the EMU soon on the number of children unable to travel to school because of the floodwaters and to arrange for temporary shelters closer to schools.Since last week, the eastern villages of Schuckmannsburg, Muzii, Nankuntwe, Malindi, Mbalasinte, Itomba and Nsundwa have all been surrounded by water and are unreachable by road.Kangowa told The Namibian that he had, however, instructed officials not only to focus their assessments on the eastern floodplains but also along the Linyanti River up to Sangwali in the south, and along the Kwando River up to Kongola in the west, following reports that the floodwaters have reached some of these areas.”We need to get a broad picture of the situation in the region so that we can report back to Cabinet,” he said.The EMU hopes to have the findings of next week’s mission ready by early April.The current level is now just four centimetres off last year’s peak which was reached on April 29.EMU Deputy Director Gabriel Kangowa said yesterday that three boats had been obtained from the military base at Katima Mulilo to move people to safety as well as for the delivery of food aid.A team from the Regional Council’s office is set to travel to affected areas this week to help those threatened by the floodwaters.The river broke the six-metre barrier on Sunday – having reached the five-metre mark just the week before.Over the past three weeks, the river has risen by almost a metre each week.Yesterday it was more than two metres higher than at the same time last year.Next week a team of representatives from the World Food Programme, Unicef, Ministry of Health, National Planning Commission and the Red Cross, along with the regional task team, will travel to the region to do a comprehensive assessment.Kangowa said the top priority was to identify a piece of land for the relocation of severely affected people.He said the exact number of people who needed to be moved was not yet known.Temporary shelters would have to be built for those evacuated and officials were determining whether tents used during last year’s floods would be sufficient.Last year’s floods displaced around 12 000 people – mostly in the Kabbe and Katima Rural constituencies.Kangowa said health-related issues were also of great concern.Since January, traditional leaders have pleaded with those in living in the floodplains to move their livestock to higher ground to avoid losing them and to stave off disease.The regional emergency task team is also expected to report back to the EMU soon on the number of children unable to travel to school because of the floodwaters and to arrange for temporary shelters closer to schools.Since last week, the eastern villages of Schuckmannsburg, Muzii, Nankuntwe, Malindi, Mbalasinte, Itomba and Nsundwa have all been surrounded by water and are unreachable by road.Kangowa told The Namibian that he had, however, instructed officials not only to focus their assessments on the eastern floodplains but also along the Linyanti River up to Sangwali in the south, and along the Kwando River up to Kongola in the west, following reports that the floodwaters have reached some of these areas.”We need to get a broad picture of the situation in the region so that we can report back to Cabinet,” he said.The EMU hopes to have the findings of next week’s mission ready by early April.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News