Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

DRC demo held under heavy security

DRC demo held under heavy security

KINSHASA – Thousands of Congolese held an anti-government rally on Saturday over delays to elections meant to end a civil war, in a show of force watched closely by armed riot police after demonstrations turned to bloodshed last week.

Up to 20 000 students and activists carrying anti-government banners and palm fronds gathered outside by the main stadium in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s capital Kinshasa, but refused to enter as the authorities wished, protesting outside instead. They blasted out songs against President Joseph Kabila and members of his transition government, which includes former rebels under a South African-brokered peace plan designed to end years of war.Etienne Tshisekedi, head of the opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) who has led protests over poll delays, repeated his demand for the transition government to resign, saying it had failed.He said Congo should revive a national conference whose 3 000-odd delegates drafted a doomed constitution to establish multi-party democracy in the early 1990s when Tshisekedi led the government under his old foe, late dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.A week ago, at least one person died when security forces fired bullets and teargas to disperse a protest.Local humanitarian and other groups have put the toll as high as 10.Elections had been due by June 30 but the government invoked the first of two possible six-month delays provided for under the 2003 peace deal, designed to end years of warfare estimated to have killed around four million people, mainly through war-related hunger and disease.- Nampa-ReutersThey blasted out songs against President Joseph Kabila and members of his transition government, which includes former rebels under a South African-brokered peace plan designed to end years of war.Etienne Tshisekedi, head of the opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) who has led protests over poll delays, repeated his demand for the transition government to resign, saying it had failed.He said Congo should revive a national conference whose 3 000-odd delegates drafted a doomed constitution to establish multi-party democracy in the early 1990s when Tshisekedi led the government under his old foe, late dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.A week ago, at least one person died when security forces fired bullets and teargas to disperse a protest.Local humanitarian and other groups have put the toll as high as 10.Elections had been due by June 30 but the government invoked the first of two possible six-month delays provided for under the 2003 peace deal, designed to end years of warfare estimated to have killed around four million people, mainly through war-related hunger and disease.- Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News