Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Congo massacre witnesses were threatened

Congo massacre witnesses were threatened

THE HAGUE – Witnesses testifying against two Congolese warlords at the International Criminal Court have been threatened and the court does not have the resources to fully protect them, a senior investigator testified yesterday.

The investigator spoke on the second day of the trial of Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo, who are accused of planning and directing a massacre of more than 200 villagers in Bogoro, a strategically important village in eastern Congo, on Feb, 24, 2003.Katanga and Ngudjolo both have pleaded not guilty to three counts of crimes against humanity and seven war crimes including murder, rape, pillage, sexual slavery and using child soldiers in the slaughter.Prosecutors plan to call 26 witnesses to testify and 21 of them will be given protective measures in court to shield their identity to try to prevent possible retaliation.The investigator testified yesterday as the first witness to outline how her team built its case against Katanga and Ngudjolo. Her identity also was shielded.’Our witnesses have also been subjected to clear threats in the course of this investigation,’ she told judges.Investigators and prosecutors at the world’s first permanent war crimes tribunal give witnesses advice on how to protect themselves but she said sometimes ‘these quite simply have been not enough.’She did not elaborate on whether any witnesses had suffered physical harm, but her comments showed the difficulties of building cases in conflict zones.Unlike other war crimes courts, such as the UN tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda, the International Criminal Court has cases in areas where fighting is still under way, such as Congo and the Sudanese region of Darfur.On Tuesday, prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo told judges the militia leaders planned to ‘wipe out Bogoro,’ which was home to a rival militia’s military camp.Defence attorneys have denied the two men were involved in the attack on Bogoro and instead blamed Ugandan forces that had been occupying Congo’s mineral-rich Ituri region where the village was located.Lawyers for some 345 victims – including some of the child soldiers forced to carry out the massacre – also are taking part in the trial. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News