Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

CoD takes issue with party ‘malcontents’

CoD takes issue with party ‘malcontents’

A FEW members of the Congress of Democrats (CoD) have allegedly gone on a “malicious misinformation” campaign, telling others that the extraordinary congress slated for May 4 and 5 had been postponed.

This was revealed on Friday by CoD Secretary General Reinhard Kala Gertze. It is an open secret that a section of the party most notably Oshikoto, Ohangwena, Oshana and Omusati supporters do not agree with a National Executive Committee (NEC) decision that the extraordinary congress be held at Keetmanshoop.The same people are also not in agreement with an NEC decision that the number of delegates be determined according to the results of the national elections of 2004.Gertze said there was no way in which party members could disregard the NEC decision.”This is one main reason why the CoD is going to review itself at the coming congress,” he said.He said failure to carry out a NEC decision would spell yet another failure of the party leadership.Earlier, party co-ordinators in the four northern regions threatened to go to court if the extraordinary congress was not called off.Vaino Amuthenu (Oshikoto), Epafras Mukwilongo (Omusati), Boas Mwapopi (Ohangwena) and Abraham Ndumbu (Oshana) claimed that the party leaders bulldozed the decision through to ensure that they get voted into office.The four are believed to be supporters of CoD leader Ben Ulenga and are pushing that the extraordinary congress be held in the North.They also believe that a postponement until around September would be in their candidate’s favour.The extraordinary congress will be attended by around 360 delegates about half of them attending according to votes received during the 2004 national elections.”Our party has 15 regional representations and each region can send a minimum of 9 delegates, altogether 135,” Ignatius Shixwameni said on Friday.”The leadership will be 81 CoD delegates, including the Young Democrats and the CoD’s women wing, since the National Executive Committee (NEC) already consists of 52 members.”The remaining 145 delegates will be from the 15 party regions, but according to a proportional formula depending on the amount of votes gained during 2004.It is an open secret that a section of the party most notably Oshikoto, Ohangwena, Oshana and Omusati supporters do not agree with a National Executive Committee (NEC) decision that the extraordinary congress be held at Keetmanshoop.The same people are also not in agreement with an NEC decision that the number of delegates be determined according to the results of the national elections of 2004.Gertze said there was no way in which party members could disregard the NEC decision.”This is one main reason why the CoD is going to review itself at the coming congress,” he said.He said failure to carry out a NEC decision would spell yet another failure of the party leadership.Earlier, party co-ordinators in the four northern regions threatened to go to court if the extraordinary congress was not called off.Vaino Amuthenu (Oshikoto), Epafras Mukwilongo (Omusati), Boas Mwapopi (Ohangwena) and Abraham Ndumbu (Oshana) claimed that the party leaders bulldozed the decision through to ensure that they get voted into office.The four are believed to be supporters of CoD leader Ben Ulenga and are pushing that the extraordinary congress be held in the North.They also believe that a postponement until around September would be in their candidate’s favour.The extraordinary congress will be attended by around 360 delegates about half of them attending according to votes received during the 2004 national elections.”Our party has 15 regional representations and each region can send a minimum of 9 delegates, altogether 135,” Ignatius Shixwameni said on Friday.”The leadership will be 81 CoD delegates, including the Young Democrats and the CoD’s women wing, since the National Executive Committee (NEC) already consists of 52 members.”The remaining 145 delegates will be from the 15 party regions, but according to a proportional formula depending on the amount of votes gained during 2004.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News