Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Britain seeks to bar directors after MG Rover collapse

Britain seeks to bar directors after MG Rover collapse

LONDON – Britain said on Friday it would seek to ban the directors of MG Rover from running companies, after a highly critical report into the carmaker’s 2005 collapse with the loss of 6 000 jobs.

Business Secretary Peter Mandelson said he wanted the four men declared ‘unfit to hold office’, following publication of the results of a four-year probe into the demise of the firm, which produced the iconic Mini.But the directors, who bought the firm from German carmaker BMW in May 2000 for a token 10 pounds, rejected the investigation as a a ‘witchunt’ and a ‘whitewash’ that absolved government ministers of any blame.The report found the four directors of MG Rover, known as the Phoenix Consortium, paid themselves about nine million pounds (US$15 million) each over the five years they owned the firm.When the carmaker based at Longbridge in Birmingham went into administration in April 2005, it owed creditors nearly 1,3 billion pounds.’During the five-year period, the members of the Phoenix Consortium and Mr. Howe obtained large, and we say unreasonably large, financial rewards, totalling tens of millions of pounds,’ the report said.Mandelson said the investigation, which cost 16 million pounds, had been ‘painstaking’ and the government would respond with action.’It was important to get all the facts into the open so that workers who lost their jobs and creditors who were not paid know the truth,’ he said.’Action is being taken. Based on this report, work has been commissioned to start legal proceedings to seek to declare relevant directors unfit to hold office and to disqualify them from management of any company in future.’The report also claimed one of the directors gave ‘inaccurate and misleading information’ to lawmakers investigating what happened at MG Rover.At the same time, it found evidence of questionable briefings by government officials to the press about the situation.The four directors, Peter Beale, John Edwards, Nick Stephenson and John Towers, rejected the conclusions, saying they ‘tried our best’ to save the company but the government should take responsibility for its failure. – Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News