Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Baghdad car bomb kills 7, Japan to pull out troops

Baghdad car bomb kills 7, Japan to pull out troops

BAGHDAD – A car bomb killed seven people in a crowded Baghdad market yesterday, in spite of a crackdown on al Qaeda that the government says involves 40 000 Iraqi forces.

In the southern city of Basra, a suicide bomber attacked a crowd of elderly and disabled people as they gathered to collect pensions, suggesting Iraq’s violence may be reaching a new level of brutality. The bomber, who had two belts of explosives strapped around him, wounded five people.Thousands of US and Iraqi troops continued their search for two US soldiers missing since Friday after an ambush south of Baghdad in the so-called “Triangle of Death”.A group affiliated with al Qaeda said on Monday it had abducted them.Japan’s Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said yesterday Japan would withdraw its 550 soldiers, engaged in reconstruction and humanitarian work in Iraq.On Monday, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said his forces would take over security from July in the southern province of Muthanna from a British-led multinational contingent that includes Japanese troops.Maliki, eager to show Iraqis he is taking control of the country, has also cracked down in the oil port of Basra where a state of emergency was declared last month.The bloodshed has not let up in spite of the death of the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in a US air strike on June 7.His successor, identified by US military authorities as Abu Ayyub al-Masri, has vowed to keep up a campaign of bombings, shootings and beheadings.A second car bomb in Baghdad wounded five people yesterday and a roadside bomb killed two and wounded 28 at the Bab al-Sharji market in the capital.Five more bodies of people who appeared to be victims of sectarian violence were found in different parts of Baghdad with gunshot wounds to the head and handcuffed, police said.- Nampa-ReutersThe bomber, who had two belts of explosives strapped around him, wounded five people.Thousands of US and Iraqi troops continued their search for two US soldiers missing since Friday after an ambush south of Baghdad in the so-called “Triangle of Death”.A group affiliated with al Qaeda said on Monday it had abducted them.Japan’s Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said yesterday Japan would withdraw its 550 soldiers, engaged in reconstruction and humanitarian work in Iraq.On Monday, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said his forces would take over security from July in the southern province of Muthanna from a British-led multinational contingent that includes Japanese troops.Maliki, eager to show Iraqis he is taking control of the country, has also cracked down in the oil port of Basra where a state of emergency was declared last month.The bloodshed has not let up in spite of the death of the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in a US air strike on June 7.His successor, identified by US military authorities as Abu Ayyub al-Masri, has vowed to keep up a campaign of bombings, shootings and beheadings.A second car bomb in Baghdad wounded five people yesterday and a roadside bomb killed two and wounded 28 at the Bab al-Sharji market in the capital.Five more bodies of people who appeared to be victims of sectarian violence were found in different parts of Baghdad with gunshot wounds to the head and handcuffed, police said.- Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News