Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Albanian ammunition dump blast kills 10

Albanian ammunition dump blast kills 10

TIRANA – Rescuers found two more bodies yesterday at the site of a massive blast at an Albanian army depot, raising the death toll to seven.

Prime Minister Sali Berisha said 10 workers are still missing after the chain of explosions, which started on Saturday and injured 243 people, including many children. During a visit to a Tirana hospital treating many of the blast victims, Berisha said at least two of the injured were in serious condition.Berisha said the blasts were accidentally triggered during work to destroy excess ammunition at Gerdec village, about 10 kilometres north of the capital, Tirana.The explosions started on Saturday and continued until early yesterday – severely hampering rescue efforts.The first blast was heard as far away as the Macedonian capital of Skopje, 190 km away, and prompted a brief suspension of flights at Tirana’s nearby international airport, which was slightly damaged.Authorities evacuated 4 000 people from three villages and the surrounding area using armoured personnel carriers.Yesterday, hundreds of troops and police cordoned off the still-smoking depot, and army engineers were preparing to enter the heart of the blasts.The destruction of ammunition at the dump was being carried out by an Albanian company that had been subcontracted by Southern Ammunition Company Inc.of Loris, South Carolina, Berisha said, adding that there had been no foreign citizens in the area.In the past year, about 6 000 – 7 000 tons of ammunition were destroyed.Berisha described the blasts as an accident.The explosion also damaged a major electricity transmission point, leaving the area without power, authorities said.Explosions continued for some 14 hours.Berisha said most of the injured had suffered burns and psychological shock.Nampa-APDuring a visit to a Tirana hospital treating many of the blast victims, Berisha said at least two of the injured were in serious condition.Berisha said the blasts were accidentally triggered during work to destroy excess ammunition at Gerdec village, about 10 kilometres north of the capital, Tirana.The explosions started on Saturday and continued until early yesterday – severely hampering rescue efforts.The first blast was heard as far away as the Macedonian capital of Skopje, 190 km away, and prompted a brief suspension of flights at Tirana’s nearby international airport, which was slightly damaged.Authorities evacuated 4 000 people from three villages and the surrounding area using armoured personnel carriers.Yesterday, hundreds of troops and police cordoned off the still-smoking depot, and army engineers were preparing to enter the heart of the blasts.The destruction of ammunition at the dump was being carried out by an Albanian company that had been subcontracted by Southern Ammunition Company Inc.of Loris, South Carolina, Berisha said, adding that there had been no foreign citizens in the area.In the past year, about 6 000 – 7 000 tons of ammunition were destroyed.Berisha described the blasts as an accident.The explosion also damaged a major electricity transmission point, leaving the area without power, authorities said.Explosions continued for some 14 hours.Berisha said most of the injured had suffered burns and psychological shock.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News