Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

77 more Zim farmers appeal to tribunal

77 more Zim farmers appeal to tribunal

AN appeal by a Zimbabwean farmer to a regional tribunal to prevent President Robert Mugabe’s government from seizing his farm was postponed on Tuesday to allow for the hearing of 77 new applications by other Zimbabwean farmers.

Last December the tribunal granted Michael Campbell interim protection until the proper hearing of his case, which was set for four court days this week. Judge Luis Mondlane, who is the president of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Tribunal, heard arguments by Senior Counsel Adrian de Bourbon, who represents Campbell and now also the 77 new applicants.De Bourbon said the 77 other farmers were in the same situation as Campbell, since Zimbabwe changed its constitution to allow for farm expropriations without compensation.”The Tribunal now has to decide if the other 77 appeals will be heard together with that of Mr Campbell, that is why his case was postponed on Tuesday to May 28,” an official at the tribunal told The Namibian yesterday.”On Friday a ruling will be given on this.”Judge Luis Mondlane, who is the president of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Tribunal, heard arguments by Senior Counsel Adrian de Bourbon, who represents Campbell and now also the 77 new applicants.De Bourbon said the 77 other farmers were in the same situation as Campbell, since Zimbabwe changed its constitution to allow for farm expropriations without compensation.”The Tribunal now has to decide if the other 77 appeals will be heard together with that of Mr Campbell, that is why his case was postponed on Tuesday to May 28,” an official at the tribunal told The Namibian yesterday.”On Friday a ruling will be given on this.”

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News