Swakop’s traffic chiefs set to face disciplinary action

Swakop’s traffic chiefs set to face disciplinary action

SWAKOPMUND’S traffic chief and his deputy, who were suspended in June, were ordered to return to work last week.

They also face the prospect of disciplinary action. Traffic Chief Fanie Kruger and his deputy, Herman Engelbrecht, were suspended indefinitely on June 15 for alleged misconduct.The news sent shockwaves through the community, as the two officials were respected for their years of experience and dedicated service in traffic law enforcement.Last week, both officials were ordered, in writing, to return to work by July 30.They would be issued with charge sheets based on the outcome of the investigation, they were told.Kruger returned last week, but Engelbrecht has been booked off by a doctor until August 31.Kruger yesterday told The Namibian that they were still awaiting the charges against them.Kruger earlier speculated that the allegations related to two incidents where he withheld a traffic offence docket from being submitted to court, while Engelbrecht conducted a motor-vehicle registration procedure after hours, which is supposedly against regulations.According to Kruger, they had not overstepped their authority in either case.When approached yesterday, Kruger said he did not want to comment on the issue, except that the allegations were possibly not what he originally thought they were.”Now we are even more confused than we were before,” he said.Swakopmund CEO Eckart Demasius yesterday confirmed to The Namibian that the traffic officers were ordered to return to their jobs.He also said that there would be disciplinary action, but would not provide any details.”This is just an administrative issue,” he said.”We’re not trying to punish someone here.”Traffic Chief Fanie Kruger and his deputy, Herman Engelbrecht, were suspended indefinitely on June 15 for alleged misconduct.The news sent shockwaves through the community, as the two officials were respected for their years of experience and dedicated service in traffic law enforcement.Last week, both officials were ordered, in writing, to return to work by July 30.They would be issued with charge sheets based on the outcome of the investigation, they were told.Kruger returned last week, but Engelbrecht has been booked off by a doctor until August 31.Kruger yesterday told The Namibian that they were still awaiting the charges against them.Kruger earlier speculated that the allegations related to two incidents where he withheld a traffic offence docket from being submitted to court, while Engelbrecht conducted a motor-vehicle registration procedure after hours, which is supposedly against regulations.According to Kruger, they had not overstepped their authority in either case.When approached yesterday, Kruger said he did not want to comment on the issue, except that the allegations were possibly not what he originally thought they were.”Now we are even more confused than we were before,” he said.Swakopmund CEO Eckart Demasius yesterday confirmed to The Namibian that the traffic officers were ordered to return to their jobs.He also said that there would be disciplinary action, but would not provide any details.”This is just an administrative issue,” he said.”We’re not trying to punish someone here.”

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News