Liverpool rethink stadium plans

Liverpool rethink stadium plans

LONDON – Liverpool’s new stadium in Stanley Park will not be “as dramatic” as first planned, the Premier League club said on Monday.

The five-times European champions unveiled plans in July for a futuristic 70 000-seater home, complete with an 18 000 single-tier Kop to replicate the famous end at their existing Anfield stadium. Chief executive Rick Parry said two new schemes were now being considered but told fans it would still be a 70 000-seater arena and that the Kop would be retained.”The new stadium will be a significant improvement on the original plans,” Parry said on the club’s Web site (www.liverpoolfc.tv).”It will be a massive improvement on where we were 12 months ago, if not quite as dramatic as the plans unveiled in the summer.”The single-tier Kop remains fundamental to the design and we are not expecting any delays, it should be on schedule for 2011.”Liverpool were given the green light for a revised version of the original 300 million pounds (US$603,5 million) plan by city authorities in November, with work scheduled to start early next year.Stanley Park is a few hundred metres from Anfield.Liverpool’s Anfield capacity of 45 000 puts them at a disadvantage to the likes of Manchester United (76 000) and Arsenal (60 000).* Meanwhile, Liverpool Premier League club will review the security of players’ homes after captain and England midfielder Steven Gerrard became the latest squad member to be burgled while away on match duty.Four men broke into Gerrard’s home last week Tuesday evening while the player was steering his team to a vital 4-0 Champions League win at Olympique Marseille that booked the Merseyside club into the knockout stages.His wife Alex Curran was in the house at the time.”We were shocked to hear the news last night after the game in Marseille,” said a Liverpool spokesman on Wednesday.”Our first concerns are for the welfare of Alex, Steven and the family.”The club takes this extremely seriously and we will be looking at ways to provide cover for players’ houses when they are away with the club on domestic and international duties.”The men, who were unarmed, wore hoods and balaclavas, the spokeswoman added.It is not clear how they broke in.This year, the home of Liverpool’s goalkeeper Pepe Reina was burgled as he helped the club reach last season’s Champions League final.Team mates Jerzy Dudek, Daniel Agger, Peter Crouch and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, as well as Everton’s Andy van der Meyde, were burgled last year.Last month, striker Dirk Kuyt suffered a break-in at his luxury home in Woolton while he was on international duty with the Dutch team.Nampa-Reuters-AFPChief executive Rick Parry said two new schemes were now being considered but told fans it would still be a 70 000-seater arena and that the Kop would be retained.”The new stadium will be a significant improvement on the original plans,” Parry said on the club’s Web site (www.liverpoolfc.tv).”It will be a massive improvement on where we were 12 months ago, if not quite as dramatic as the plans unveiled in the summer.”The single-tier Kop remains fundamental to the design and we are not expecting any delays, it should be on schedule for 2011.”Liverpool were given the green light for a revised version of the original 300 million pounds (US$603,5 million) plan by city authorities in November, with work scheduled to start early next year.Stanley Park is a few hundred metres from Anfield.Liverpool’s Anfield capacity of 45 000 puts them at a disadvantage to the likes of Manchester United (76 000) and Arsenal (60 000).* Meanwhile, Liverpool Premier League club will review the security of players’ homes after captain and England midfielder Steven Gerrard became the latest squad member to be burgled while away on match duty.Four men broke into Gerrard’s home last week Tuesday evening while the player was steering his team to a vital 4-0 Champions League win at Olympique Marseille that booked the Merseyside club into the knockout stages.His wife Alex Curran was in the house at the time.”We were shocked to hear the news last night after the game in Marseille,” said a Liverpool spokesman on Wednesday.”Our first concerns are for the welfare of Alex, Steven and the family.”The club takes this extremely seriously and we will be looking at ways to provide cover for players’ houses when they are away with the club on domestic and international duties.”The men, who were unarmed, wore hoods and balaclavas, the spokeswoman added.It is not clear how they broke in.This year, the home of Liverpool’s goalkeeper Pepe Reina was burgled as he helped the club reach last season’s Champions League final.Team mates Jerzy Dudek, Daniel Agger, Peter Crouch and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, as well as Everton’s Andy van der Meyde, were burgled last year.Last month, striker Dirk Kuyt suffered a break-in at his luxury home in Woolton while he was on international duty with the Dutch team.Nampa-Reuters-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News