Karibib stays connected – for now

Karibib stays connected – for now

THE debt-ridden town of Karibib averted a second power cut within a month when they made a part payment to NamPower at the last minute this week.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Municipality faxed a notice to businesses late on Monday to inform them that the power was going to be cut at 07h00 yesterday. The town was without electricity for 24 hours in July after an urgent payment of about N$300 000 was apparently made to the power utility.Residents expected the worst yesterday morning but were pleasantly surprised to find the power was still on after 07h00.”I had my generator ready, but am grateful that the power was not cut,” said the owner of a service station.Residents again held their breath as 13h00 approached – when it was again said the power would be cut, but again nothing happened.The CEO of Karibib, Lourens Hoeseb, refused to tell The Namibian anything about the situation.Instead he launched an angry attack on the media.”You people only phone when there is a crisis.Why don’t you call us when it is quiet and ask about new developments?,” he asked.Hoeseb referred all queries to the Mayor, but Frans !Aoxamub was not contactable at his place of employment at the Navachab mine.The Namibian did manage to track down the Chief Technical Advisor at NamPower, Reiner Jagau yesterday afternoon who said a part payment was made that reversed the planned power cut.He confirmed that the cut had been postponed until further notice, but added that the two parties were still involved in negotiations.”In the end there is still a bill that must be settled.”Jagau said Karibib had signed an instalment plan with NamPower long ago.The plan is a signed agreement on how Council will settle its debts according to its ability.Asked whether yesterday’s threatened power cut was because of a non-payment in terms of the agreement, Jagau said it could be interpreted in this way.He did not want to reveal further details, saying the information was confidential.The town was without electricity for 24 hours in July after an urgent payment of about N$300 000 was apparently made to the power utility.Residents expected the worst yesterday morning but were pleasantly surprised to find the power was still on after 07h00.”I had my generator ready, but am grateful that the power was not cut,” said the owner of a service station.Residents again held their breath as 13h00 approached – when it was again said the power would be cut, but again nothing happened.The CEO of Karibib, Lourens Hoeseb, refused to tell The Namibian anything about the situation.Instead he launched an angry attack on the media.”You people only phone when there is a crisis.Why don’t you call us when it is quiet and ask about new developments?,” he asked.Hoeseb referred all queries to the Mayor, but Frans !Aoxamub was not contactable at his place of employment at the Navachab mine.The Namibian did manage to track down the Chief Technical Advisor at NamPower, Reiner Jagau yesterday afternoon who said a part payment was made that reversed the planned power cut.He confirmed that the cut had been postponed until further notice, but added that the two parties were still involved in negotiations.”In the end there is still a bill that must be settled.”Jagau said Karibib had signed an instalment plan with NamPower long ago.The plan is a signed agreement on how Council will settle its debts according to its ability.Asked whether yesterday’s threatened power cut was because of a non-payment in terms of the agreement, Jagau said it could be interpreted in this way.He did not want to reveal further details, saying the information was confidential.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News