Hitmen in fight for titleBy: STAFF REPORTER
PAULUS ‘The Hitman’ Moses will battle South Africa’s Cassius ‘Hitman’ Baloyi for the WBO International lightweight title on July 28, promoter Nestor Tobias said yesterday.
The fight – set for the Ramatex Factory in Windhoek – will be on the same night as a WBO bantamweight title elimination bout between number-three-ranked Paulus ‘The Rock’ Ambunda and William Prado of Brazil, who is ranked 12th in the world.
A fight for the WBO Africa welterweight title between former holder Bethuel Tyson Uushona and Isaac Hlatshwayo is also on the card.
“Baloyi vs Moses WBO International title [fight] will take place over 10 rounds and not over 12 rounds [like] normal championships. Reason being both fighters had already signed a 10-round contract and they have prepared for 10 rounds. That’s why we asked a special clearance from the WBO to sanction the bout over 10 rounds,” said Tobias.
“WBO agreed because both fighters are rated in pound for pound in the world and both are active and respected boxers worldwide.”
Moses has been on a path to redemption since losing his WBA lightweight title to Venezuela’s Miguel Acosta last year.
His last outing ended in a unanimous points decision defeat to World Boxing Organisation lightweight champion Ricky Burns in Glasgow on March 10. That was his second blemish on an otherwise impressive 19-fight record.
“I am a former world champion, so I know what it takes to win a title,” Moses said. “Baloyi is a former world champion, so it’s no different for him. I must win if I want to fight for a title again.