Full Story
Namib Quest attracts large audience
THE Windhoek Lager Namib Quest Mountain Bike Challenge has been regarded as one of the most gruelling mountain bike races in the world since its inception in 2011, attracting riders from all over the world.
It will be no different on Sunday when 20 local and international teams from five countries line up for the start of the six-day stage race from Windhoek to Swakopmund via the Khomas Hochland and the Namib desert.
History will also be made in this year’s race as an estimated 600 million people in about 240 million homes worldwide will be able to watch two slots of 13 minutes each on their televisions. Philippines-based Sports Unlimited has been engaged to screen the race worldwide, a first for a Namibian sporting event.
Over a six-day period, the two-member men’s and women’s teams from Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, South Africa and the USA will traverse the mighty Khomas Hochland escarpment passing through the majestic Namib Desert and spending five nights in the villages along the way before finishing the race in Swakopmund.
“Our goal is to put Namibia on the map as an adventure tourism destination through mountain biking and trail running, to develop mountain biking and trial running as sports code in Namibia which assists with developing a healthy and productive nation, and assists our sponsors in promoting their brands to assist with the stimulation of the Namibian economy,” said Quest organiser Tinus Hansen from African Extreme Promotions (AEP).
Hansen said this year’s event has seen a 30 percent increase in numbers.
“We recently generated 16 000 views through our Face Book postings, and we have been pushing the TV media exposure to new levels. With the assistance of NBL we have a high-profile production company documenting the event,” he added.
“The Quest will be screened 12 times on DStv’s Super Sport which will result in six hours of viewing to an audience of millions throughout Southern Africa and other international markets. AEP have also secured a deal to showcase the event through Sports Unlimited, which will secure some 600 million viewers worldwide,” Hansen said.
He confirmed that last year’s winning team, consisting of Almero Barnard and Ludwig Malherbe from Cape Town, will be defending their title on Sunday morning.
Hansen stressed that event numbers are important for the economic success and sustainability of the event.
