Double murder trial continues in January
THE trial of double murder suspect Julius Dausab, who is accused of killing his girlfriend and her mother in the Ovitoto area three years ago, will only continue early next year.
Dausab (42) was back in the dock before Judge Alfred Siboleka on Thursday last week - four and a half months after his trial had to be postponed because he had been diagnosed with tuberculosis.
Judge Siboleka was told that Dausab has in the meantime received medical treatment and that he has been discharged from the hospital where he was treated.
He has also been released from custody after he paid bail, defence lawyer Bradley Basson told the judge.
Judge Siboleka granted Dausab bail in an amount of N$40 000 on March 12.
With Dausab again fit enough for his trial to continue, a full court roll and other commitments on Bassonís diary have resulted in Dausabís trial being postponed to January 15 next year.
The trial is scheduled to continue from January 15 to 25, and thereafter from March 4 to 15.
Dausab has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges he is facing.
He is accused of having murdered his girlfriend, Paulina Kenamune (27), and her mother, Elfriede Kenamune (44), by shooting them with a .308 rifle in the Ovitoto area east of Okahandja during the night of June 3 to 4 2009.
Dausab is also accused of having possessed the alleged murder weapon and ammunition without a licence.
According to Dausab, he was at the scene when the two women were shot, but he was not the killer, Basson has told the court during the trial so far. Dausab is claiming that the murders were committed by an unknown man, described as being short and stout, who was driving a white car, Basson has indicated to the court.
State advocate Erick Moyo is prosecuting.