Full Story

09.12.2010

UB40 no-show hurts AIDS orphans

By: DENVER KISTING

AT least 82 AIDS orphans and 17 employees of Hope Village might be out in the cold soon as a result of UB40 cancelling its Windhoek concert.

The orphanage had already spent N$3 million on the preparations for the event that was scheduled for Saturday.
Six thousand people had already bought tickets for the concert that was called off at the eleventh hour.
The Namibian understands that Hope Village might have to shut its doors as it has spent money which it hoped to recover through the concert.
It is widely feared that this money – which has resulted in immediate cash-flow problems for the orphanage – may never be recovered as the concert might never see the light of day.
Should donors not throw out a sizeable lifeline to Hope Village soon, the ‘postponed’ UB40 concert may cost them more than just egg on their faces.
Yesterday, it was claimed that the show was cancelled because a band member had fallen ill.
Norman Hassan, the percussionist, has apparently “been given strict instructions by his doctor that he must have immediate and complete rest to enable him to be treated for a medical condition”.
Hassan apparently has diabetes.
The band also informed Hope Village that as a result of his deteriorating health, Hassan was allegedly instructed by his doctor “not to move until the end of January”.
In a short press release, the band said: “UB40 have been forced to postpone the Namibia show on December 11.”
An unnamed spokesperson for the band was quoted as saying: “This is not a decision that [the] band or their management have taken lightly and the decision was made as an absolute last resort.”
Hope Village’s Marietjie de Klerk yesterday said although not yet confirmed with the band, a three-day concert is planned for February as a consolation.
She said those fans who already have bought tickets will be able to attend all three these shows without paying more. They are considering bringing in South African artists to help fill the three-day programme. More local talent will also be signed up, she said.
De Klerk could not say who these artists would be, as no one had been contacted yet “and I don’t want to talk myself into a corner and then I can’t get out”.
Whether or not UB40 will show up next year remains to be seen. According to De Klerk, they are trying to get the band to commit to an agreement in writing. This contract will be drawn up by Hope Village’s lawyers.
All that they had for Saturday was a contract from the band with their terms.
Earlier there was an uproar when it emerged that UB40’s former lead singer had left the band for greener pastures and his brother “who sounds just like him” would have sung.
Fans who were hoping to see the reggae stars in the Independence Stadium on Saturday were seething when the news of the cancelled show broke late on Tuesday. One said: “Just because of one guy? That is nonsense. It doesn’t make sense. I want my money back.”
Although De Klerk asked people not to claim their money back and rather hold on to their tickets until February or donate the money to charity, people will be refunded from next week.
She said details about when and where people can queue for their money will be announced in the media. “They must please just give us chance this week to set everything up.”
She said they plan to “relaunch our ticket sales in a week or two’s time”.


25th Birthday Magazine Available For Download