SA’s DA backs Malema
CAPE TOWN – South Africa’s opposition Democratic Alliance has backed Julius Malema’s demand that President Jacob Zuma stand trial for the multiple criminal charges he has faced. On Wednesday, Malema demanded that Zuma should still face the charges in open court, instead of “running away” from the courts.
“Zuma has 700 charges against him. I only have one,” Malema said.
The axed ANC Youth League leader was granted N$10 000 bail in the Polokwane Regional Court yesterday where he was charged with money laundering in connection with a N$52 million tender in Limpopo.Malema claimed the charge was politically motivated.
DA federal chairman and correctional services spokesman James Selfe said on Wednesday: “We’re in entire agreement. That’s why we’ve gone to court on numerous occasions to have the decision to drop the charges against Mr Zuma reviewed.
“It was meant to have been the best-prepared case in history, considering all the millions of rand that had been spent in preparation. It was clear that there were members of the NPA
[National Prosecuting Authority] who believed they had a solid case against Mr Zuma. And the place to disprove that case was in open court, not by cutting deals,” Selfe charged.
“So as much the DA would disagree with much of what Mr Malema says on other matters, on this, at least, he is entirely correct. Or, more correctly, he agrees with us.”
In December 2007, Zuma was charged with various counts of racketeering, money-laundering, corruption and fraud. But in 2009, the NPA said while the merits of the case remained intact, alleged political interference and abuse of process rendered the continuation of the trial “unconscionable”.
The DA had earlier won a court case giving it access to the so-called spy tapes which formed the basis for charges to be dropped against Zuma. – Cape Argus