X
09:13Last update on: 13 Aug 2013
The Namibian
Tue 13 Aug 2013


POLL
What do you think of the renaming and addition of regions and constituencies?
Results so far:
Older Polls
Conciliatory tones in Egypt
CAIRO - Egypt’s army-backed rulers and allies of its deposed Islamist president gave the first signs of a readiness to compromise on Saturday, pressed by Western envoys trying to head off more bloodshed.
Faced with the threat of a crackdown on supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, diplomacy appeared to pick up pace, a month to the day since Egypt’s army deposed President Mohammed Morsi and plunged the country into turmoil.
Recognising for the first time the strength of popular protest against his one-year rule, Morsi’s allies said on Saturday they respected the demands of millions who took to the streets before his overthrow.
A spokesperson said the Morsi camp, which has refused to abandon weeks of sit-in protests until he is reinstated, wanted a solution that would “respect all popular desires”.
They told envoys from the United States and the European Union that they reject any role in a political settlement for army chief General Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who led Morsi’s ouster, and want the constitution he suspended to be restored.
“I respect and hold in regard the demands of the masses that went out on 30 June, but I will not build on the military coup,” spokesperson Tarek El-Malt told Reuters, relaying what the pro-Morsi delegation had told the envoys.
Asked whether the delegation had insisted on Morsi’s reinstatement as part of any political deal, Malt, a member of the Brotherhood-affiliated Wasat party, said it was a detail for future discussion.
But given that Morsi’s opponents insist he should not be part of the political solution, Malt said, then “Sisi must also not be in the political equation”.
In an interview with the Washington Post, Sisi appeared to rule out running for president himself, despite his growing popularity among some of the 84 million-strong population.
The Pentagon said Sisi had assured US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel, in a telephone call, that the Egyptian authorities “were working towards a process of political reconciliation”.
Egypt’s military has installed a transitional government and laid out a “road map” to elections in about six months. It promises a return to civilian rule, having brought down the first freely elected president after 60 years of rule by military men.
The Brotherhood, an Islamist movement that spent decades in the shadows before winning power in elections after the 2011 fall of autocrat Hosni Mubarak, had spurned the road map.
But its supporters, camped out at two sites in Cairo, face the threat of being violently dispersed by security forces who shot dead 80 of them a week ago. Almost 300 people have been killed in political violence since Morsi’s overthrow, and much of the movement’s leadership is in custody.
The deposed president is being held in a secret location, under investigation on a raft of charges including murder. Diplomats say the West is pressing the Brotherhood to give up on Morsi’s return, and for the military to pull back from a bid to drive the Islamists back underground.
Stepping back from an imminent threat to disperse the protesters, the Interior Ministry promised them “safe exit” and urged them to rejoin the political process. The government said on Friday it would blockade the camps, but not storm them.
“Your continued sit-ins have no legal or political use,” Interior Ministry spokesman General Hany Abdel Latif said on Egyptian television. “You have a safe exit, you will be politically integrated,” he said, wearing a white dress uniform.
“You are brainwashed, subject to psychological manipulation. You are being used as a political bargaining chip.”
US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns and European Union envoy Bernadino Leon were leading the diplomatic push, meeting Morsi’s allies and Egypt’s interim foreign minister, Nabil Fahmy.
A Foreign Ministry statement said the government was committed to national reconciliation, including all political forces “as long as they refrain from all forms of violence and incitement to it”.
Fahmy told reporters after the meeting that there had been some contact with the Brotherhood.
- Nampa-Reuters
Faced with the threat of a crackdown on supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, diplomacy appeared to pick up pace, a month to the day since Egypt’s army deposed President Mohammed Morsi and plunged the country into turmoil.
Recognising for the first time the strength of popular protest against his one-year rule, Morsi’s allies said on Saturday they respected the demands of millions who took to the streets before his overthrow.
A spokesperson said the Morsi camp, which has refused to abandon weeks of sit-in protests until he is reinstated, wanted a solution that would “respect all popular desires”.
They told envoys from the United States and the European Union that they reject any role in a political settlement for army chief General Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who led Morsi’s ouster, and want the constitution he suspended to be restored.
“I respect and hold in regard the demands of the masses that went out on 30 June, but I will not build on the military coup,” spokesperson Tarek El-Malt told Reuters, relaying what the pro-Morsi delegation had told the envoys.
Asked whether the delegation had insisted on Morsi’s reinstatement as part of any political deal, Malt, a member of the Brotherhood-affiliated Wasat party, said it was a detail for future discussion.
But given that Morsi’s opponents insist he should not be part of the political solution, Malt said, then “Sisi must also not be in the political equation”.
In an interview with the Washington Post, Sisi appeared to rule out running for president himself, despite his growing popularity among some of the 84 million-strong population.
The Pentagon said Sisi had assured US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel, in a telephone call, that the Egyptian authorities “were working towards a process of political reconciliation”.
Egypt’s military has installed a transitional government and laid out a “road map” to elections in about six months. It promises a return to civilian rule, having brought down the first freely elected president after 60 years of rule by military men.
The Brotherhood, an Islamist movement that spent decades in the shadows before winning power in elections after the 2011 fall of autocrat Hosni Mubarak, had spurned the road map.
But its supporters, camped out at two sites in Cairo, face the threat of being violently dispersed by security forces who shot dead 80 of them a week ago. Almost 300 people have been killed in political violence since Morsi’s overthrow, and much of the movement’s leadership is in custody.
The deposed president is being held in a secret location, under investigation on a raft of charges including murder. Diplomats say the West is pressing the Brotherhood to give up on Morsi’s return, and for the military to pull back from a bid to drive the Islamists back underground.
Stepping back from an imminent threat to disperse the protesters, the Interior Ministry promised them “safe exit” and urged them to rejoin the political process. The government said on Friday it would blockade the camps, but not storm them.
“Your continued sit-ins have no legal or political use,” Interior Ministry spokesman General Hany Abdel Latif said on Egyptian television. “You have a safe exit, you will be politically integrated,” he said, wearing a white dress uniform.
“You are brainwashed, subject to psychological manipulation. You are being used as a political bargaining chip.”
US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns and European Union envoy Bernadino Leon were leading the diplomatic push, meeting Morsi’s allies and Egypt’s interim foreign minister, Nabil Fahmy.
A Foreign Ministry statement said the government was committed to national reconciliation, including all political forces “as long as they refrain from all forms of violence and incitement to it”.
Fahmy told reporters after the meeting that there had been some contact with the Brotherhood.
- Nampa-Reuters
Comment on this article
www.weatherphotos.co.za
Windhoek
3°
24°
0mm
Walvis Bay
9°
21°
0mm
Oshakati
12°
33°
0mm
Keetmanshoop
4°
22°
0mm
Grootfontein
6°
28°
0mm
Gobabis
0°
27°
0mm
(August 13)
View more ...
