X
04:38Last update on: 12 Aug 2013
The Namibian
Mon 12 Aug 2013


POLL
What do you think of the renaming and addition of regions and constituencies?
Results so far:
Older Polls
Five children burn to death
Clemans Miyanicwe
TWO children aged four and six years were burnt to death last Friday in Aminius Settlement when they were left locked up in a shack that caught fire while three others aged between three and four also perished in a shack fire in Epukiro near Otjiwarongo on the same day.
Ndjitiza (4) and Vaja (6) Kambapani as well as Hitjiva Kazearua (8) of Aminius were left sleeping by their mothers when they went to drink beer at a bar.
Hitjiva who escaped with facial and leg burns was rescued by members of the public who had to break down the door when they saw the shack on fire. She was admitted at Gobabis State Hospital after being transferred from Aminius.
Police spokesperson Edwin Kanguatjivi yesterday said a case of culpable homicide has since been opened against the two mothers - a 26-year old and a 20-year old - who are expected to appear in the Gobabis Magistrate Court today.
Kanguatjivi said the women left a candle burning in the shack, which caught fire between 22h00 and 23h00.
In another case at Epukiro near Otjiwarongo three children also burnt to death between 6h00 and 7h00 on Friday after their grandmother left them in a shack when she went to look for calves in the veld. An oil lamp sat on top of a wooden cupboard is suspected to have caused the fire.
The children have been identified as Hivirikee Ngueumenga (4), Okeri Tjiriange (3) and Tjizouje Hamutenja (3) while Ndjokake Hamutenja (age unknown) was rescued by a member of the public and is currently in hospital.
The National Science Institute will investigate the exact cause of fire this week.
Ndjitiza (4) and Vaja (6) Kambapani as well as Hitjiva Kazearua (8) of Aminius were left sleeping by their mothers when they went to drink beer at a bar.
Hitjiva who escaped with facial and leg burns was rescued by members of the public who had to break down the door when they saw the shack on fire. She was admitted at Gobabis State Hospital after being transferred from Aminius.
Police spokesperson Edwin Kanguatjivi yesterday said a case of culpable homicide has since been opened against the two mothers - a 26-year old and a 20-year old - who are expected to appear in the Gobabis Magistrate Court today.
Kanguatjivi said the women left a candle burning in the shack, which caught fire between 22h00 and 23h00.
In another case at Epukiro near Otjiwarongo three children also burnt to death between 6h00 and 7h00 on Friday after their grandmother left them in a shack when she went to look for calves in the veld. An oil lamp sat on top of a wooden cupboard is suspected to have caused the fire.
The children have been identified as Hivirikee Ngueumenga (4), Okeri Tjiriange (3) and Tjizouje Hamutenja (3) while Ndjokake Hamutenja (age unknown) was rescued by a member of the public and is currently in hospital.
The National Science Institute will investigate the exact cause of fire this week.
Comment on this article
Latest comments
www.weatherphotos.co.za
Windhoek
7°
24°
0mm
Walvis Bay
8°
22°
0mm
Oshakati
8°
31°
0mm
Keetmanshoop
1°
17°
0mm
Grootfontein
2°
27°
0mm
Gobabis
5°
24°
0mm
(August 12)
View more ...
