X
07:08Last update on: 13 Aug 2013
The Namibian
Tue 13 Aug 2013


POLL
What do you think of the renaming and addition of regions and constituencies?
Results so far:
Older Polls
Simon gets date with Euro champ
Sheefeni Nikodemus
HARRY Simon will fight Serbian Geard Ajetovic for the vacant International Boxing Federation International light heavyweight on 28 September, his Public relations Officer Anita Tjombe confirmed yesterday.
The fight will be staged at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek, she said.
Ajetovic is the current holder of the IBF International and WBO European super middleweight titles, honours he captured in his last two fights.
The 32 year-old Serb, who resides in Merseyside in North West England, has won 23 (KO 11), lost 8 and drawn one of his fights to date.
“He’s not a walkover. He’s a champion and he will give Harry a good fight,” Tjombe told The Namibian Sport.
Tjombe said Simon’s ultimate goal is to challenge for the IBF light heavyweight championship held by American Bernard Hopkins.
However, the undefeated former two-time middleweight world champion first needs to complete a set of prerequisite fights as per IBF regulations for its championships tournaments.
“Harry Simon must first find his way back to the IBF top 15 ratings and fight the rated boxers in the same [class] before he ever get a nod to challenge Hopkins. This might take awhile before his dream ever come true,” said IBF Africa president Onesmo Ngowi.
“But, given Simon’s history of dispatching his opponent, the fight with Hopkins might come sooner than later.”
Tjombe is adamant that her boxer will beat Ajetovic and go on to defend the title at least twice and face Hopkins.
“Harry is in Jo’burg preparing for the fight already. He’s determined to do well and I can guarantee you that he will win this title,” Tjombe said.
The fight will be staged at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek, she said.
Ajetovic is the current holder of the IBF International and WBO European super middleweight titles, honours he captured in his last two fights.
The 32 year-old Serb, who resides in Merseyside in North West England, has won 23 (KO 11), lost 8 and drawn one of his fights to date.
“He’s not a walkover. He’s a champion and he will give Harry a good fight,” Tjombe told The Namibian Sport.
Tjombe said Simon’s ultimate goal is to challenge for the IBF light heavyweight championship held by American Bernard Hopkins.
However, the undefeated former two-time middleweight world champion first needs to complete a set of prerequisite fights as per IBF regulations for its championships tournaments.
“Harry Simon must first find his way back to the IBF top 15 ratings and fight the rated boxers in the same [class] before he ever get a nod to challenge Hopkins. This might take awhile before his dream ever come true,” said IBF Africa president Onesmo Ngowi.
“But, given Simon’s history of dispatching his opponent, the fight with Hopkins might come sooner than later.”
Tjombe is adamant that her boxer will beat Ajetovic and go on to defend the title at least twice and face Hopkins.
“Harry is in Jo’burg preparing for the fight already. He’s determined to do well and I can guarantee you that he will win this title,” Tjombe said.
Comment on this article
Latest comments
www.weatherphotos.co.za
Windhoek
7°
24°
0mm
Walvis Bay
8°
22°
0mm
Oshakati
8°
31°
0mm
Keetmanshoop
1°
17°
0mm
Grootfontein
2°
27°
0mm
Gobabis
5°
24°
0mm
(August 12)
View more ...
