X
04:54Last update on: 12 Aug 2013
The Namibian
Mon 12 Aug 2013


POLL
What do you think of the renaming and addition of regions and constituencies?
Results so far:
Older Polls
Government to provide free seeds
Shinovene Immanuel
THE government last week made a U-turn and has now decided to provide free seeds to communal farmers in drought and flood stricken regions as from next month.
The Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry John Mutorwa made the announcement on Friday that the government will provide free seeds to drought and flood affected farmers.
Mutorwa’s announcement comes few days after he rubbished calls by farmers for the government to provide free seeds to Caprivi farmers who were relocated because of floods. He had insisted that the government would only subsidise the purchase of seeds.
However, in a turn of events, Mutorwa said on Friday the free seed will only be for a maximum of three hectares per household.
He said the ministry has produced 80 tonnes of pearl millet (mahangu) seed at the various research stations and irrigation projects.
“Some 20 tonnes of hybrid maize seed is also available from a local maize seed producer, giving us a total of 100 tonnes of seed in the country,” he said.
According to the minister, plans are in place to produce another 100 tonnes of mahangu seeds under irrigation at green scheme projects and research stations.
Mutorwa said, in addition to these plans, government will import additional mahangu, maize, sorghum and legume seed to make up for the shortfall.
The Government has been critisised by some affected farmers, including the farmers’ unions for being too slow in implementing their drought relief plan.
The minister said, within the next two weeks, the government will make available 10 tonnes of hybrid maze seed to the flood affected farming households in the Caprivi Region.
Mutorwa said beneficiaries will have to be registered in consultation with regional councillors at constituency offices in order to ensure “smooth and timely provision of seeds”.
Mutorwa said N$5 million has been set aside for the production and distribution of mahangu to the drought and flood affected community.
Government is also weighing options of including commercial rain-fed crop farmers.
New Era reported last week that farmers in Kavango Region feared that the harvest in the next rainy season could be as poor as this year’s if government does not provide free seed to communal farmers.
The same plea came from people in the flood-affected Caprivi region.
The government last month announced a N$218 million plan which includes paying farmers incentives to sell their livestock, lease of grazing land and the drilling of more than 200 boreholes.
According to Unicef, there are more than 778 000 people affected including 109 000 children under five who are at risk of malnutrition in Namibia.
The Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry John Mutorwa made the announcement on Friday that the government will provide free seeds to drought and flood affected farmers.
Mutorwa’s announcement comes few days after he rubbished calls by farmers for the government to provide free seeds to Caprivi farmers who were relocated because of floods. He had insisted that the government would only subsidise the purchase of seeds.
However, in a turn of events, Mutorwa said on Friday the free seed will only be for a maximum of three hectares per household.
He said the ministry has produced 80 tonnes of pearl millet (mahangu) seed at the various research stations and irrigation projects.
“Some 20 tonnes of hybrid maize seed is also available from a local maize seed producer, giving us a total of 100 tonnes of seed in the country,” he said.
According to the minister, plans are in place to produce another 100 tonnes of mahangu seeds under irrigation at green scheme projects and research stations.
Mutorwa said, in addition to these plans, government will import additional mahangu, maize, sorghum and legume seed to make up for the shortfall.
The Government has been critisised by some affected farmers, including the farmers’ unions for being too slow in implementing their drought relief plan.
The minister said, within the next two weeks, the government will make available 10 tonnes of hybrid maze seed to the flood affected farming households in the Caprivi Region.
Mutorwa said beneficiaries will have to be registered in consultation with regional councillors at constituency offices in order to ensure “smooth and timely provision of seeds”.
Mutorwa said N$5 million has been set aside for the production and distribution of mahangu to the drought and flood affected community.
Government is also weighing options of including commercial rain-fed crop farmers.
New Era reported last week that farmers in Kavango Region feared that the harvest in the next rainy season could be as poor as this year’s if government does not provide free seed to communal farmers.
The same plea came from people in the flood-affected Caprivi region.
The government last month announced a N$218 million plan which includes paying farmers incentives to sell their livestock, lease of grazing land and the drilling of more than 200 boreholes.
According to Unicef, there are more than 778 000 people affected including 109 000 children under five who are at risk of malnutrition in Namibia.
Comment on this article
www.weatherphotos.co.za
Windhoek
7°
24°
0mm
Walvis Bay
8°
22°
0mm
Oshakati
8°
31°
0mm
Keetmanshoop
1°
17°
0mm
Grootfontein
2°
27°
0mm
Gobabis
5°
24°
0mm
(August 12)
View more ...
