X
10:37Last update on: 13 Aug 2013
The Namibian
Tue 13 Aug 2013


POLL
What do you think of the renaming and addition of regions and constituencies?
Results so far:
Older Polls
Mother of four out in the cold
Luqman Cloete
Photograph by Luqman Cloete
A SINGLE mother of four children has been evicted by her landlord from a house at Keetmanshoop after failing to pay rent of N$250 since 2007.
On Wednesday evening, Sanna Katjito and her family spent the night in the cold in front of the house from which she was evicted by the messenger of court, Desmond Andreas, earlier that day.
“I have nowhere to go, therefore I have spent the night out in the cold,” said Katjito.
Katjito claimed the town council booted her out of the house without a notice.
The town’s mayor, Moses Titus, yesterday dismissed claims that council obtained the eviction order against Katjito.
Titus said the house belongs to Yvonne Kwere, indicating that the landlord instituted the eviction order against Katjito.
“The eviction is a private matter,” said Titus.
When approached for comment, Kwere acknowledged that she had instructed her lawyer to evict Katjito over unpaid rental fees since 2007.
According to Kwere, Katjito only paid rent for the four months after she had moved into the house, and decided to stop paying the rental fees claiming that the house is council’s property.
Kwere said after she complained to the council that Katjito disputes her ownership of the house, council administrative officials recommended her to obtain an eviction order.
Veterans affairs deputy minister Hilma Nicanor, after visiting the evicted family, described the situation as “unacceptable”.
“It’s uncalled for to expose the family to the cold weather. According to what I was told, the eviction order was executed in disrespect and unacceptable manner,” said Nicanor.
The court’s messenger Desmond Andreas told The Namibian that council and Kwere agreed at a meeting attended by Nicanor, Katjito and Titus to allow Katjito to move back into the house and occupy it for another three weeks.
During the three-week period, according to Andreas, it was agreed that Katjito will build a low-cost house with a housing loan, which was granted to her by the council under the Build Together Programme.
The agreement for Katjito to stay on in the house was reached after it had emerged that it was in fact the council and not Kwere who had instructed lawyer Gerrit van den Heever to obtain the eviction order against Katjito.
luqman@namibian.com.na
“I have nowhere to go, therefore I have spent the night out in the cold,” said Katjito.
Katjito claimed the town council booted her out of the house without a notice.
The town’s mayor, Moses Titus, yesterday dismissed claims that council obtained the eviction order against Katjito.
Titus said the house belongs to Yvonne Kwere, indicating that the landlord instituted the eviction order against Katjito.
“The eviction is a private matter,” said Titus.
When approached for comment, Kwere acknowledged that she had instructed her lawyer to evict Katjito over unpaid rental fees since 2007.
According to Kwere, Katjito only paid rent for the four months after she had moved into the house, and decided to stop paying the rental fees claiming that the house is council’s property.
Kwere said after she complained to the council that Katjito disputes her ownership of the house, council administrative officials recommended her to obtain an eviction order.
Veterans affairs deputy minister Hilma Nicanor, after visiting the evicted family, described the situation as “unacceptable”.
“It’s uncalled for to expose the family to the cold weather. According to what I was told, the eviction order was executed in disrespect and unacceptable manner,” said Nicanor.
The court’s messenger Desmond Andreas told The Namibian that council and Kwere agreed at a meeting attended by Nicanor, Katjito and Titus to allow Katjito to move back into the house and occupy it for another three weeks.
During the three-week period, according to Andreas, it was agreed that Katjito will build a low-cost house with a housing loan, which was granted to her by the council under the Build Together Programme.
The agreement for Katjito to stay on in the house was reached after it had emerged that it was in fact the council and not Kwere who had instructed lawyer Gerrit van den Heever to obtain the eviction order against Katjito.
luqman@namibian.com.na
Comment on this article
www.weatherphotos.co.za
Windhoek
3°
24°
0mm
Walvis Bay
9°
21°
0mm
Oshakati
12°
33°
0mm
Keetmanshoop
4°
22°
0mm
Grootfontein
6°
28°
0mm
Gobabis
0°
27°
0mm
(August 13)
View more ...
