The NamibianThe WeekenderYouthPaperBack of the Book
[ Login ]   |   [ Register ]
The Namibian
X
The Namibian Home PageSat 2 Aug 2014, 05:27Last update: 1 Aug 2014
The Namibian
Fri 1 Aug 2014
News    Opinions    Sport    Business    Entertainment    Oshiwambo    Archive    Top Revs    Letters   
News    Opinions    Sport    Business    Entertainment    Oshiwambo    Archive    Top Revs    Letters   
FIFA World Cup 2014
 *POWER to the women. We are being abused by men who were brought into this world by women. Why? Because women allow it to happen. Get out of abusive relationships and be free. This is our time to show men that behind the pretty smiles lies the power to fi
 ANTI-CORRUPTION Commission, visit towns like Khorixas and see how government vehicles are being abused after hours as well as during weekends.
 *MINISTER Charles Namoloh, are you really investigating the case of the Omaruru Town Council for a year. Why are you playing delaying tactics until the elections?
POLL
What do you make of the proposed changes to Namibia's Constitution?

1. It's a power grab

2. It's needed to manage government better

3. Such changes must go to a referendum first

4. Such changes shouldn't be centred on personalities


Results so far:
 Older Polls

FRONT PAGE | 2010-05-24
Landmark church celebrates centenary
TANJA BAUSE
THE Christuskirche in Windhoek is celebrating its centenary in October this year.
The German Evangelical Lutheran community in Namibia was established in January 1886. In the same year the government architect Gottlieb Redecker was asked to design a church.
After the end of the Herero War in August 1907 the ground-breaking ceremony took place and three years later the church was finally opened on October 16 1910.
The only local material used was sandstone mined in the vicinity of the present Avis Dam. A small railway line was constructed to transport the sandstone to the construction site.
The portico consists of Carrara marble imported from Italy while the roof details, clock, bells, windows and other materials were shipped from Germany.
An original Walker organ was imported from Germany and the wood from the boxes in which the organ was shipped was used to build the original chancel.
In the 1980s it became apparent that the church was in need of urgent renovations and a new chancel and baptistery was build. A new organ from South Africa was also installed.
The cement floors in the church were at some places starting to lift. whole floor was taken out, renewed and finished off with Terazzo.
The red paint of the roof also ran down the side of the walls leaving behind unsightly red stripes. Sieghart Neumeister, who was on the church council, was at the time on holiday in Cape Town where he noticed workers removing paint stripes from a building with a powder which they dissolved in water. He immediately brought some of the powder back to Namibia and the walls of the church were cleaned without any damage to the original stones. The whole roof was then retiled with durable tiles.
The three bronze bells were cast in Germany by Franz Schilling in 1910. They bear the inscriptions 'Ehre sei Gott in der Hohe' (glory to God in the highest), 'Friede auf Erden' (peace on earth) and 'Den Menschen ein Wohlgefallen (goodwill towards men).
During a confirmation service in 1960s the clapper of the main bell came loose and smashed through the window and landed on Peter Muller Street, now Fidel Castro Street. Bars were then fastened in front of the windows.
The colourful windows of the church have always caused much excitement. Kaiser Wilhelm II donated the stained-glass windows and his wife, Augusta, gave the altar Bible. The first windows that were sent from Germany arrived in Windhoek and when the boxes were opened nearly all of them were broken.
New ones were ordered and the original, handmade windows from Hofglasmalerei W. Franke from Naumburg, Germany, were sent by ship and then by train to Windhoek.
The wagon carrying windows caught fire on the way to Windhoek and it was feared that the windows were once again destroyed. After they arrived in Windhoek it became clear that only the boxes they were packed in had caught fire and that the windowpanes were in fact undamaged.
Nearly 90 years after the church was opened a tourist noticed that the church windows were installed incorrectly. The side with the sun protection on was on the inside. After an investigation it was found to be correct and the church decided to not only rectify this but also in the process renovate all the windows.
The lead holding the glass pieces together was old and brittle and many of the glass pieces were broken or cracked. Hanjo Bohlke became the project manager and Verena Brand-Behnsen, an expert in glass painting, was called in from Johannesburg to do the restoration.
For the next two years the inside of the church became a workshop. All the windows were taken out. The designs were then traced to ensure the correct reassembly of the windows.
The glass pieces were then taken out one by one out, cleaned and either put back or replaced. After the pieces were in place the windows were once again installed and this time the right way around.
In 2000 churchgoers could for the first time enjoy the true and full splendour of the windows.

         


IJG Daily Bulletin

A product of CEIT Development Namibia