The NamibianThe WeekenderYouthPaperBack of the BookSupplements
[ Login ]   |   [ Register ]
The Namibian
  
X
The Namibian Home PageThu 27 Nov 2014, 00:50Last update: 26 Nov 2014
News    Opinions    Sport    Business    Entertainment    Oshiwambo    Archive    Top Revs    Letters   
News    Opinions    Sport    Business    Entertainment    Oshiwambo    Archive    Top Revs    Letters   

The Namibian
Wed 26 Nov 2014
 I AM very concerned about the future of the Joyful Choir competition. It started on the wrong footing. Favouritism won't take us anywhere; it will just break us. Who wants to be part of a sinking competition?
 NANGOLO Mbumba must go and teach his own people their language of origin at Omboloka. They are suffering from being taught in Oshikwanyama.
 MBUMBA must go because we are not ready to be abused by the people we put into power. Don't destroy our party. If you want to go, just go peacefully.
 WELL done, comrade Nangolo Mbumba. What you said on Saturday at the Swapo star rally is true. You were not supposed to apologise.
 NANGOLO Mbumba, you acted foolishly but don't worry. God will take care of you for insulting us in a live broadcast. Are you mad?
POLL
Are you going to vote in the upcoming National Assembly and Presidential elections?

1. Yes! It' my duty.

2. No! Swapo will win anyway.

3. Maybe, but I haven't decided who to vote for.

4. Hell no! I'm not into politics.


Results so far:
 Older Polls



ECONOMIC NEWS | 2006-03-03
Sibinda flood victims evacuated
* LINDSAY DENTLINGER
THE Caprivi Regional Emergency Management unit yesterday began moving around 1 200 people from the flooded Sibinda constituency to drier ground.
At least 500 of the affected people are pupils at the local school,
where classrooms and teachers' houses have been flooded as a result
of heavy rains over the past two months.
Since the beginning of the year, the Caprivi has received more
than 400 mm of rain.

Councillor for the Sibinda constituency Felix Mukupe told The
Namibian yesterday that he expected all the affected people to be
moved by the end of the weekend.

They are being taken by car about two kilometres away from
Sibinda village, where they are being provided with tents, food and
blankets.

Teachers' houses were flooded by rainwater and they have been
forced to sleep together in a small room in the school hostel.

Houses in the area are usually made of mud and clay.

The Deputy Director of the Emergency Management Unit, Gabriel
Kangowa, was in the Caprivi this week to check on Remu operations
and contingency plans.

The Zambezi River surpassed the two-metre level this week, but
is still low compared to the average at this time of year and
levels that caused flooding in the eastern floodplains in 2003 and
2004.

"We are really monitoring the situation very closely.

This time we are better prepared.

We are going to work better," Kangowa told The Namibian from
Katima Mulilo.

He said people were already being prepared to evacuate the
moment the river level becomes a flood threat, instead of waiting
for the flood to arrive.

Warehouses at the town had been cleaned in preparation for
emergency supplies that had already been sent to the Caprivi last
week, he said.

This week Kangowa travelled to most of the areas that become
unreachable when the Zambezi River is in flood, and he said he had
not experienced any problems in getting there.

But he said it could not be ruled out that the situation could
change later this month or even next month.

"We are very carefully monitoring the river.

There is nothing threatening at the moment, but you never know
what can happen," said Acting Caprivi Governor Leonard Mwilima.




Since the beginning of the year, the Caprivi has received more than
400 mm of rain.Councillor for the Sibinda constituency Felix Mukupe
told The Namibian yesterday that he expected all the affected
people to be moved by the end of the weekend.They are being taken
by car about two kilometres away from Sibinda village, where they
are being provided with tents, food and blankets.Teachers' houses
were flooded by rainwater and they have been forced to sleep
together in a small room in the school hostel.Houses in the area
are usually made of mud and clay.The Deputy Director of the
Emergency Management Unit, Gabriel Kangowa, was in the Caprivi this
week to check on Remu operations and contingency plans.The Zambezi
River surpassed the two-metre level this week, but is still low
compared to the average at this time of year and levels that caused
flooding in the eastern floodplains in 2003 and 2004."We are really
monitoring the situation very closely.This time we are better
prepared.We are going to work better," Kangowa told The Namibian
from Katima Mulilo.He said people were already being prepared to
evacuate the moment the river level becomes a flood threat, instead
of waiting for the flood to arrive.Warehouses at the town had been
cleaned in preparation for emergency supplies that had already been
sent to the Caprivi last week, he said.This week Kangowa travelled
to most of the areas that become unreachable when the Zambezi River
is in flood, and he said he had not experienced any problems in
getting there.But he said it could not be ruled out that the
situation could change later this month or even next month."We are
very carefully monitoring the river.There is nothing threatening at
the moment, but you never know what can happen," said Acting
Caprivi Governor Leonard Mwilima.

         


Electoral Commission of Namibia
IJG Daily Bulletin

A product of CEIT Development Namibia