NEWS - AFRICA | 2013-08-08

President Jacob Zuma
Zuma mulling new arms probe appointment
JOHANNESBURG - The inquiry into the arms deal will continue as a two-person commission while President Jacob Zuma considers whether to appoint a third member, the presidency said on Tuesday evening.
“President Jacob Zuma amended the Presidential Minute appointing the members of the Arms Procurement Commission allowing it to continue as a two-person commission,” spokesperson Mac Maharaj said in a statement.

The Seriti Commission of Inquiry, chaired by Justice Willie Seriti with Justice Thekiso Musi as a member, would continue it work after the resignation of Judge Francis Legodi last week.

Maharaj said that the presidency regretted any inconvenience caused by an earlier statement, in which he said Zuma had decided not to replace Legodi.

On Monday, Seriti said he received a draft of an urgent court application against the commission on Sunday night.

One of the concerns raised was whether the commission could continue with only two commissioners, following Legodi’s resignation last week.

The applicant, the defence department, believed the commission could not proceed with just two commissioners. Seriti said that was a decision Zuma needed to make.

The commission is investigating alleged corruption in the 1999 multi-billion rand arms deal. Public hearings were supposed to start in Pretoria on Monday, but were postponed for two weeks. - Nampa-Sapa



The Namibian - Tue 13 Aug 2013